Thread: Mossy Tree Frog care/Info................

frog

Smile Mossy Tree Frog care/Info................

Found this info sheet on the net.

Care Sheet: Mossy Frogs

The Mossy Frog has only recently become available in the pet trade. The care and breeding of this interesting frog is becoming more refined as our experience with them increases. Most breeders, in the USA have been working with this species for less than 3 years so we still have a lot to learn.
    The Mossy Frog, Theloderma corticale, lives in karst zones of northern Vietnam. They make their home in flooded caves and deep niches in the banks of mountain streams. Their range includes the provinces of Vinh Phu, Back Tahi, Cao Bang, and Lang Son. They can be found from 700-1500 m elevation. Their range is decreasing due to habitat destruction and some biologists consider their status as threatened or endangered.

The color and texture of their skin looks like a bunch of moss. Their skin is colored in various shades of green with black and purple spots and stains. They are covered with numerous tubercles and spines thus providing them with a perfect camouflage.

They are mostly nocturnal, however, I have heard them calling during the day. Males have quite a repertoire of calls. Males can be identified by pronounced breeding calluses on the base of their inside finger. There doesn't seem to be much difference in size between males and females. Adults are 7 to 8 cm (3-inches), that can be attended within 6 to 9 months of metamorphism. These frogs will fold into a ball when frightened and play dead.

They actively feed, at night on large insects such as crickets and cockroaches. This is a semi-aquatic species spending much of the time hiding in the water under rocks and floating plants. They will also attach themselves to the crevice on a rock, just above the water appearing to be moss. Their eggs are deposited above the water to protect them from aquatic predators. The eggs hatch in 7 to 14 days with the newly hatched tadpoles dropping from their egg into the water directly below them. Metamorphous from tadpole to frog takes about 3 months.

I recommend that Mossy Frogs be maintained in a covered aquarium (these are tree frogs that have adhesive toe pads and can jump). A ten to twenty gallon aquarium can house two or three frogs. The aquarium should be 1/3 to 1/2 full of water with an aquarium filter. De-chlorinated water that has been conditioned by adding Indian Almond (Terminala cattapa) leaves or a similar commercial aquarium additive should be used. The aquarium can be decorated with broken pieces of clay pots protruding above the water, rocks, and other aquarium decorations. Overhanging rocks or pots are necessary if you intend to breed your frogs. I also use floating water plants like water lettuce. The feeder insects can climb on the water plants until the frogs find and eat them. I feed my frogs, at night, four or five times a week.

Mossy Frogs have been successfully maintained at daytime temperatures of 26- 30 degrees C (79- 86 degrees F) and 22 - 24 degrees C (72 - 75 degrees F) at night. I maintain mine at a constant 78 degrees F both night and day. It is know that local temperatures drop to 4 - 5 degrees C (39 - 41 degrees F) during the winter in their range. A cooling period may or may not be necessary to stimulate breeding and amplexus. I initially cooled my frogs a few degrees in late summer/early fall and breeding commenced shortly thereafter. Clutch size varies from 10 to 40 eggs. Eggs that are deposited in the water fail to develop. Tadpoles can be raised together (they are not cannibalistic) in an aerated aquarium in conditioned water. The tadpoles should be fed daily on Spirulina flakes.

With routine care you will be able to enjoy these unique frogs. They are not difficult to keep and can provide a lot of enjoyment for their owner. Through captive breeding the wild populations no longer need to be harmed by collectors for the pet trade. Have Fun!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Mossy Tree Frog care/Info................

We appreciate the gesture but you should really ask the author if it's OK to repost his or her work on this site.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes but other wise i enjoy it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I agree but other wise i enjoy it.

frog

what is the rule on info? I thought if it was available for free download or free to copy you can re post or distribute anywhere as long as you did not do it for profit? I have other good downloaded frog care/info sheets that might be helpful to members so let me know.

Kurt

Like John said you should always get permission to repost any article or photo. First its just plain common courtesy. Second more often that not, these materials are protected by law and you can get yourself in some serious trouble if you repost someone else's material, more so if you claim it as your own.
    When you do get permission, often the owner of the materials does want it made clear somewhere on the page that the material is theirs and is protected. Recently I got permission to use a photo and in the e-mail this was said to me "Also, in your article, it MUST state that all of my images are protected under copyright and are NOT public domain. Any use of them, even on the internet, must involve asking permission first."
    Most authors and photographers, will usually say yes to your request to use their material, but you must ask first.

Emma318

This is an interesting caresheet - thanks for posting! I hope the author won't be mad, maybe you can just edit it and give them credit somewhere? Or link to the page where you found it?

Anyway, this is interesting to me because I just got some mossies (see my other post for pics) and I have found some varying info in my research. For example, this caresheet says the tank should be 1/3 to 1/2 water, and my tank currently is only about 2-3 inches of water... Some people I've talked to only keep a big water dish in with them, so I'm curious as to which they prefer. I haven't put mine in the big tank yet, because I'm trying something that no one has mentioned before. Guppies. I have 3 females and a male, and am just starting to get some tiny, baby-frog-sized snacks in the tank! I'm going to wait until there is plenty of baby guppies, and then introduce my little guys. I'm just really afraid they'll croak, but not in the good way. Does anyone have any opinions about using the guppies as feeders? I'll still throw crickets in, of course, but thought they might enjoy the constant supply of sushi.

Also, I had never read about them curling up in a defensive ball when stressed. Like a mossy ball, huh? I don't want to stress them out to see it, but I think that's neat!
    Here's a few more pics of my little guys, just for fun. Any comments/advice appreciated!
    Cool action shot! Look at those sexy legs!

Mmm, cricket!

See the blue mouth?

Ready for more!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure if they would eat guppies, it would certainly be interesting to see. Some frogs are aquatic feeders and will take food under water, other, will not.

Alex

Thread Information