Thread: Article: Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Article: Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow - very informative! This article provided me with very helpful insight - so much so that my firebelly toads have had over 200 eggs! I have sold half of them already! Thanks so much!

Monty

Great article! Thank you very much for writing this, as I just bought my first (3x) frogs I found this extremely usefull

Posiondartfrog

Thank you i will buy myn as soon as my room is finished being decorated, I will post pictures! :]

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is great information. I've been doing research for developing a habitat out of a 10 gal tank for FBT's and have seen many simple and elaborate set ups. As stated, it can be as simple or as detailed as your imagination and pocketbook allow. BTW, the link to Johnny Farnen's photo is not currently working. I can't wait to start.

FrogNoobie659

Wow, This is cool! Good job!

Molly2375

I love how this provides me with all the important information I need, all in one spot! Excellent article!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Amazing article, ty so much for posting!

I had one thing to point out (not sure when it quit working but I noticed it had when I went to view it.) The link for "...including a great photograph of a divided aquarium" no longer leads to a valid image. I tracked down the username, I think this is it (not 100% sure though): Picture 3 of 8 from Vivaria Stuff

Just posting that in case anyone else tried to view it but could not (I'm in the process of setting up a tank with something similar )

Nationality
    [Canada]

Awesome care article but how do i sex the toads? (find out the gender?)

Lauralee4151

Default Re: Article: Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    To sex the toads you look at their feet. Male frogs have webbing that mostly goes straight across and fills most of the space between toes, the females have less webbing and it kind of bows in twords feet.
    hope this helps
    lauralee4151

Fire Salamander

Thanks Helped A lot!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

thanks I mite start to breed frogs this helped a lot!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

can you cross breed all types of fire belly toads? or do they have to be the same species?

Firebellyemily

Default Re: Article: Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

Quote Originally Posted by frogmania21 View Post
    Wow - very informative! This article provided me with very helpful insight - so much so that my firebelly toads have had over 200 eggs! I have sold half of them already! Thanks so much!

Hey, which method did you do? Also how old do the frogs need to be to breed?

lollipop4000

Smile Re: Article: Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

I'm having trouble with my fire bellied toads; they are acting adgetated and want to get out of the cage and I'm wondering if it has anything related to reproduction or if they are needing more territory, I have two toads one is slightly darker than the other I don't know if they are male or female please I need someone to help me out!

Nationality
    [United States]

WOW you must know a lot. LUV IT!

KayIS

One thing that is important for care of FBT is to be sure you have a temperature change of about 10 degrees from day/night. You can do this a number of ways, but the easiest is to have a heater in the water set to 72 degrees, and then turn off the heater at night so that the temperature falls to 62 degrees (guess it depends on how warm/cold you keep your house - mine is freezing!). Having natural daylight (via daylight bulbs) along with the temp difference and your frogs will be lively and this will stimulate appetite. Any time your toads won't eat, or seem "depressed" it might be because you do not have this temp change. Our herpetologist suggested this fix for our FBT and it worked wonders. I've since added heat to our salamander tank and we see great changes with him too.

KayIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    I recently brought a few of my toads to our local herpetologist, and he told us that the webbing trick may or may not be accurate - his method of sexing is by looking at their butts! The pointer and more prominent they are, the more likely you have males. Females are more rounded and less prominent. Look at them when they are sitting (not standing with legs outstretched). Recently we were fooled by a toad that I could have sworn was a female by looking at webbing but when the frog started croaking, we knew it was a male. This "butt" trick works. However, he also said the only foolproof way is to look for the pads on the hands during mating season for males.

Thread Information