Thread: Has my albino clawed frog got red leg?

Nicola Crutchley

Default Has my albino clawed frog got red leg?

Hi
    Really need help please?
    I have a tank which I test every week and all levels are fine! I have 2 clawed frogs but 1 has a red leg and is swollen. I noticed it had a bad leg but wasn't swollen about 3wks ago but just thought he had caught it but has got worse and more swollen over the wks.
    I have removed him now from the tank and segregated on his own now 2 c how he acts and 2 stop it frm infecting the other if it is (other frog has no symptoms at all)
    He eating fine and seems quite happy otha than he is not using his back leg as well as the other!
    I have read about red leg and says about it being on legs and tummy but can it effect 1 leg as mine is only swollen and red on 1 leg NOT both :s
    Could really do with some advice as I've read and read but I'm really unsure if it is red leg or just he has caught it and 2 let it heal?.
    Dnt want him 2 suffer and if he has got red leg I'd rather humanely put him down
    Please please help me ASAP
    Thanks nikki

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Has my albino clawed frog got red leg?

You could well be correct in your diagnosis. In any case, these frogs need to see a vet asap. I don't think there's anything you can do at home without veterinary help.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Nikki,

Glad you isolated the well frog. Red-leg is a serious disease and difficult to treat. Unfortunately, there are few vets that are knowledgeable in amphibian medicine. I suspect that it is a bacterial infection. Without a diagnosis by a vet, it is difficult to tell. To treat, you can use antibacterials such as tetracycline, Maracyn II® or Maracyn Plus®. Advanced cases are usually fatal. There is a product called Lymnozyme (a probiotic) that you can add to your water changes that will help prevent (not cure) bacterial infections. Good luck and hope your frog gets well.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nicola Crutchley

Hi
    Thanks 4 the replys
    I have been in2 the breeder 2day & he has said that he doesn't think it is red leg as it would of effected the other frog by now & that it wud b both legs so thinks it's the bacterial infection from a knock he has given me antibacterial solution 2 put in the water but if there is no improvement he is bringing me solution from the vetches of charge (as my vet hadn't a clue)!!
    Let's hope 4 the best it's not red leg cuz my little boy has done nothing but cry his eyes out
    I'll keep ppl posted but any other idea or possible diagnoses wud b greatly appreciated
    Thanks again
    Nikki

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A bacterial infection, whether or not it is red-leg, is a serious matter. It will take about a week or two to get the infection under control. Follow package or your vet's instructions. Place the frog in clean water with the medication for about 45 minutes. Replace the water and medication each day until infection is clear.

Nicola Crutchley

Hi
    Just been in the quiet room where I have put him 2 get peace n quiet but isn't lukin good as his stomach now luks like it's started 2 swell unfortunately the way it's lukin I'm going 2 have 2 put him dwn I dnt want him 2 suffer as I've heard it's very painful by the end and dnt want him 2 go through anymore than he needs 2!
    I'm going 2 feed him lata c if he is still perky & eatin if not then I knw the infection has gone 2 far 2 heal him!! My little boy is gonna b devastated the only thing is at least my female is showing no signs of red leg!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When a frog bloats, it is holding water. Aquatic frogs must maintain a fine balance between their body and the water they live in. If this becomes unbalanced, the frog will bloat. No doubt that your frog has a bacterial infection of some kind. The next step is kidney failure and death. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's usually what happens.

There still is a chance if you treat it with tetracycline. This can be purchased at any tropical fish store. Follow the instructions. Keep the frog in the bath for 30 minutes, then repeat the process each day until it clears up. Each time use fresh water and medication. This has to be done immediately.

To relieve the bloating, add 1 tablespoon of salt to 4 liters of water and place the frog in for one hour. You can use the salt and tetracycline treatment together. Good luck, let me know how it is going.

Nicola Crutchley

Well just 2 let u knw he's still with us redness has gone down loads but still swollen & he's finding it difficult 2 swim still. I have been doing the salt water but also the power that the vet gave the breeder!! He is off his food but I'm giving him a couple more days 2 c if we can get him better n c if he perks up & starts eating again?? Fingers crossed but if he does survive how long adviced 2 keep him segragated fem his playmate???
    Thanks

Nicola Crutchley

Well just 2 let u knw he's still with us redness has gone down loads but still swollen & he's finding it difficult 2 swim still. I have been doing the salt water but also the power that the vet gave the breeder!! He is off his food but I'm giving him a couple more days 2 c if we can get him better n c if he perks up & starts eating again?? Fingers crossed but if he does survive how long adviced 2 keep him segragated fem his playmate???
    Thanks

Thread Information