Thread: got some questions? maybe a new tank!!

ChrisMartins

Default got some questions? maybe a new tank!!

Ello everyone,
    so ive been looking at new terrariums online and non of them are fruit fly proof. Does anyone know of one? Has anyone seen that SeaClear flat back hex tank made out of acrylic. Its like the perfect tank but will need some mods so that the light doesn't bend the top. i need to soon move my dart frogs out of the 10g tank i got them in. Plus it never hurts to make a bigger tank or take on a new project lol. Well ill leave the link to the tank on the bottom let me know if you come up with any ideas or if you think the tank isnt worth it. Sorry i tried to find a picture of the top view but it doesnt look like they have one online.
    thanks everyone

SeaClear Acrylic Aquarium - Flat Back Hexagon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: got some questions? maybe a new tank!!

In the US there aren't any large scale commercial makers of dart frog (or ever other frog) terrariums. That means we're taking products made for reptiles and trying to convert them for frogs. For dart frogs you basically have to fruit-fly proof your own terrarium. For example, you can run silicone down the joints of an exo terra or a zoo med terrarium, let it cure, and then split it with a razor blade, or you can put some masking tape on one side of the join and smear petroleum jelly on it, then put silicone on the other edge and the silicone will only stick to the unmasked glass. Then you just have to replace the lid - the simplest way is to get a piece of glass cut to fit it. If you want to be thorough, you should put some no-see-um mesh over the vent (or inside it - the vents can be opened) to prevent all fly escapes.

There are a couple of small-scale manufacturers (I mean in the literal rather than disparaging sense) such as Protean Designs, who make specially designed for darts. They tend to be a little pricey but they make great products.

You could use that aquarium you've mentioned, but frankly I don't see the advantage of it over any other aquarium when it comes to converting for darts.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ChrisMartins

Default Re: got some questions? maybe a new tank!!

yeah your very right john their really is the advantages. i think im going to go with 36g bow fish tank they are on sale right now at petco

Thread Information