Thread: New pacman frog not eating !

jjas12475

Default New pacman frog not eating !

i had my new pacman frog for 3 days and he did not eat yet is that normal i just leave the crickets in ther for him please help i am a newbbie!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: New pacman frog not eating !

This is normal for a new frog. Just let him get used to his new home.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's normal; sometimes they go a week or two without eating. However, they also won't eat if something is stressing them out or if their environment isn't right. What temp/humidity/substrate are you using? It's always good to make sure that everything else is right so your frog can adjust to his new home quicker

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Also, have a look at the threads linked at the bottom of this page in the "Similar Threads" section.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

jjas12475

thank so much guys i got some tweezers and offer him a cricket last night and he ate it i was so happy i did it agine this morning he ate agine i think he just a littel lazy but at lease he ate so when do i offer a pinky mouse?

jjas12475

also i put a small gree tree frog in the tank with my pacman frog if the pacman frog eats the tree frog will it hurt him in any way?

Guenhwyvar

Why would you want to endanger your frog by giving it a mouse? If it's a baby, you don't give it anything much bigger than the crickets. If the other frog is wild caught, don't feed it to your pacman. From the pictures I've seen in your album, he's way too small to have such big prey. Worms are much more fun to watch them eat, but I'm partial to mice as I view them as pets. You have to be very careful when feeding mice, you can't be like the videos of the stupid people on youtube. You'll kill your frog that way. You didn't get this frog just to watch it eat big prey did you? I have to ask...you can't feed mice to an adult only frog very often because it'll cause them to get way too fat and can cause internal injuries.

jjas12475

ok thanks alot and the tree frog is tiny like have the size of the pacman frog and it is wild caught so i should take it out and set it free,and for the littel pacman not even a pinky mouse is good for them!?

Guenhwyvar

I wouldn't try even a little new born mouse until he gets bigger, so you can be sure he's healthy and if anything goes wrong you can be sure it wasn't because you tried bigger prey items too early. the wild caught frog is probably carrying the chytrid fungus, which is the leading cause in the frog epidemic right now. It can also be carrying parasites that'll transfer to your frog if he eats it. Keep an eye on it for dark shedding.

11. This member thanks Guenhwyvar for this post:

jjas12475

i am going to let the tree frog go not taking any chances i payed for the pacman frog and caught the tree frog so bye bye tree frog ,wnat to keep my pacmanfrog healthy as possable!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am no expert on pacman expert. But what from what I've read, you should feed adult pacmans rodent as seldomly as possible. Absolulty not more than ever two three months. They are way to fat for being used as a goos food source.

Please note again that I am no pacman expert.

14. This member thanks ViperJr for this post:

demeteraurion

Also, you should switch to coco fiber soil. If your frog eats a chunk of the bark it could die. Nice looking frog

jjas12475

i am useing coco fiber but not the real thin kind it comes in a brick and you have to soak it in water!

demeteraurion

Quote Originally Posted by jjas12475 View Post
    i am useing coco fiber but not the real thin kind it comes in a brick and you have to soak it in water!
    That sounds right, your photo album pictures look like you are using repti bark or something.

Nationality
    [United States]

With all my experiences with Pacman frogs, I have never fed any of them mice. They can grow to be very large and healthy simply on a healthy diet of crickets, roaches, and nightcrawlers!

Think of mice as human junk food to frogs. As cool as they are to feed and to watch be eaten, its more important to think about the frog's overall health. I am by no means saying feeding mice is wrong...like many people have said, an occasional mouse once or twice a year to a Pacman is perfectly fine.

Just don't rush in and start feeding pinkies and fuzzies on a weekly basis because the frog will eat them. Give your little dude (great looking frog btw!) a few months to adjust and grow and then maybe think about a mouse.

Don't house your Pacman with any of other frogs. They will eat the frog if given the chance and that can lead to death if they choke because of its size, parasites, and the chance of chytrid fungus. The Gray Treefrog is also from a completely different part of the world, so the proper temperature and humidity for each species varies. If you want to keep the Treefrog, Petco is having a dollar per gallon tank sale, so you can easily pick up a tank on the cheap. Releasing it back to the wild is probably always the best thing to do with wild caught frogs.

One more thing, be sure to dust your crickets with calcium every couple feedings!

Thread Information