Thread: WTFs: Australian vs Indonesian appearance

mrk

Default WTFs: Australian vs Indonesian appearance

In a recent thread, I read that someone once posted info about slight differences in appearance between the Australian and the Indonesian morphs of WTFs. I searched for this info and couldn't find it. I thought I had Indonesians because the Australians are usually so hard to find, but recently I noticed that the small print under the cage at the pet store where I bought them actually says that they (PetCo) carry the Australians. I'm not sure whether the sign on the cage is incorrect or not. I bought 6 out of the same cage. While they othen change colors slightly as is normal, 2 are a darker, brownish green (although 1 passed away), 2 are more of a 'lime' green, and 2 are a pale, bluish green. I would love to be able to determine what type(s) they are for sure. I am wanting to replace the 1 which died soon and would like to get a different morph if possible. Can anyone provide a link to the past discussion or present the info again?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTFs: Australian vs Indonesian appearance

I don't have any advice on this, but have a look at the similar thread links at the bottom of this page.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was looking through an old book in my collection called the Handbook of Common New Guinea Frogs by J.I. Menzies and published by the Wau Ecology Institute describes both species. Litoria caerulea (Australian) and L. infrafrenata (white-lipped, Indonesian/Papuan) are easily distinguished. The Australian species invaded into New Guinea when the two land masses were connected during the Pleistocene ice ages.

L. infrafrenata is the larger of the two species (up to 135mm in length). It is more slender with longer legs and a head that is about as long as broad; caerulea is more squat (120 mm in length) with shorter legs and a head that is usually broader than long. In addition, infrafrenata has a conspicuous white stripe on the lower lip, extending as far back as the tympanum. Lower lip of caerulea is greenish. L. caerulea has a heavy glandular fold of skin over the tympanum, that is absent in infrafrenata. Hope this helps
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

mrk

OOPS! Sorry, I guess I didnt clarify. The two I am trying to distinguish are both Whites Tree Frogs. One is the Whites color morph from Indonesia and the other is the Whites morph from Austrailia, also known as the Blue Dumpy. I had always thought their color was the only difference, but in a recent thread, a comment was made (By Bri I think) that there are also slight body differences, including a more defined head shape. I am wanting more info on that. (Thanks for trying to help me though!)

Nationality
    [Australia]

Hello the GTF's the i brought from my local breeder have a light bluish to lime green colour and they are the aussie ones but i personally can't see much of a differnece between the two unless there is a slight colour difference but then i havn't reallly been in contact with the indonesian ones as we can't get any frogs out of australia only seen them in wildlife parks and zoo's..
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

wesleybrouwer

treefrogsrules

i have found that Australian tend to be more blue and indonesians are brighter green that is all i can say

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I did make that post mrk, but you're missing a letter. XD

The link to the thread above is the one I was talking about. There you can see pictures and hear a bunch of different opinions as to the origins of their White's.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mrk

Thanks so much for the info everyone. Brit & Wesley, that was exactly the Thread I was looking for. I had never been aware of any of this before. Very interesting!

Thread Information