Thread: Isopods

mrk

Default Isopods

I am interested in getting Isopods for a new Whites Vivarium. What type of Isopods would make good janitors and good snacks for my Whites? Will I need to breed them or will they reproduce and live a long time in the vivarium? Do they have to be fed or will the waste products be enough? Any good suppliers?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Isopods

It won't do any harm to the tree frogs to add them, but it might not be great for some live plants, depending on what you pick. I don't know the species names, but you can buy a pale colored one known to most people as "Tropical Isopods" - sold by many vendors in the US. They should live and reproduce in the terrarium fine without you feeding them. They don't leave the ground often so the frogs are unlikely to eat them that often. Their ability to digest waste products is frankly over rated, so don't think they'll keep your terrarium clean on their own.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

I was thinking to get some for my whites but what about my African's and packs that live in plastic containers do the isopods climb the walls

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I agree with John in that the woodlice wouldnt be able to keep on top of the whites waste - they do fine for darts but they produce considerably less volume lol
    The dwarf tropical whites tend to be pretty invisisble but do breed well. I have found the orange rough woodlice much more active on the surface and also much bigger although their care is identical. A good mixture of woodlice and springtails is always good to keep mould and some of the waste down (I seed all my phib vivs with custodians) but they are too small to be food items for a large white tho.
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by berksmike View Post
    I agree with John in that the woodlice wouldnt be able to keep on top of the whites waste - they do fine for darts but they produce considerably less volume lol
    The dwarf tropical whites tend to be pretty invisisble but do breed well. I have found the orange rough woodlice much more active on the surface and also much bigger although their care is identical. A good mixture of woodlice and springtails is always good to keep mould and some of the waste down (I seed all my phib vivs with custodians) but they are too small to be food items for a large white tho.
    I definitely agree with Mike here. I have never handled isopods or wood-lice before personally but I have seen lots of videos online and have come to the conclusion that they are WAY too small to act as a food item for White's. As the frog grow they probably won't even be able to see the things. They do get to about 5 inches sometimes. XD; (The frogs.)
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mrk

Thanks everyone! Since I only have Whites, looks like the tweezers will continue to be my custodial tool!

Thread Information