Thread: FBT Turned brown :(

superphil92

Default FBT Turned brown :(

I had 2 FBTS That were pure brown eurpoean. than I got two bautiful light green FBTS yesterday with them. But they turned all brown. Help??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FBT Turned brown :(

FBTs that are captive bred are not as bright in color as those from the wild. It is recommended when purchasing this species that you choose individuals that are the most bright and colorful. Often frogs will turn a dingy green or even brown. Some captive-bred strains are becoming genetically weaker, with duller colors and smaller size.

To help retain some of the color, especially the bright red belly, feed your frog foods rich in carotene. Aphids are a good source of natural carotene for your frogs. You can try gut-loading your crickets, earthworms or bloodworms with shredded carrots, marigold flowers or paprika as well as the usual calcium and vitamin supplements. Also, you can add a small amount of canthaxanthin to the water. It is available from drug stores, veterinarians or chemical supply companies.

Unfortunately, loss of color is "normal" for captive-bred individuals.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

superphil92

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    FBTs that are captive bred are not as bright in color as those from the wild. It is recommended when purchasing this species that you choose individuals that are the most bright and colorful. Often frogs will turn a dingy green or even brown. Some captive-bred strains are becoming genetically weaker, with duller colors and smaller size.

To help retain some of the color, especially the bright red belly, feed your frog foods rich in carotene. Aphids are a good source of natural carotene for your frogs. You can try gut-loading your crickets, earthworms or bloodworms with shredded carrots, marigold flowers or paprika as well as the usual calcium and vitamin supplements. Also, you can add a small amount of canthaxanthin to the water. It is available from drug stores, veterinarians or chemical supply companies.

Unfortunately, loss of color is "normal" for captive-bred individuals.
    Thanks I will try I love your xenopus laveri, also do you know where I can order a surinam toad? I see you have one

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by superphil92 View Post
    Thanks I will try I love your xenopus laveri, also do you know where I can order a surinam toad? I see you have one
    Thanks! These tongueless frogs are my favorites. A good source for Xenopus is Xenopus Express Homepage, if you cannot get them through a local breeder or at a herp show. I have both captive-bred albinos and wild caught. I like the wild-caught because of their larger size. When purchasing a Suriname toad, make sure it's captive-bred, since wild ones are often injured during transport. Check out my post, http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...html#post67274.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

6. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

superphil92

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Thanks! These tongueless frogs are my favorites. A good source for Xenopus is Xenopus Express Homepage, if you cannot get them through a local breeder or at a herp show. I have both captive-bred albinos and wild caught. I like the wild-caught because of their larger size. When purchasing a Suriname toad, make sure it's captive-bred, since wild ones are often injured during transport. Check out my post, http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...html#post67274.
    Thanks. I have 2 Xenopi albinos one more question, Can I feed an african clawed frog a pinky mouse when there adults? Like once every few months My frogs are half the size of adults . Just wondering if I can give em pinkys when there adults

Thread Information