Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release call?

into

Default Release call?

Tonight, Dumper (white's tree frog) jumped on Jade's back and Jade started calling quietly. Jade tried to get away and Dumper continued climbing on Jade's back until Jade leaped away sending Dumper tumbling to the bottom.

Was that a male release call coming from Jade? Do I finally have to give in that Jade is a male? Wouldn't Dumper be too young/wrong time of the year to try to mate? He really wanted to be on Jade's back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Release call?

Dumper would have "amplexed" if he was in the mood for love, not just jump on Jade's back. I would think Jade's a male too from your other descriptions.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

into

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Dumper would have "amplexed" if he was in the mood for love, not just jump on Jade's back. I would think Jade's a male too from your other descriptions.
    I wrote that wrong... he didn't jump on Jade's back, he climbed on Jade's back like he was straddling him and when Jade moved, Dumper did it again causing the sudden crash to the bottom. I know what amplexus looks like (I've been there a few times ) but I don't know what the male does to get to get to that position. All I know from watching is that Jade was the target and "he" wasn't having that. Usually they see each other as another rock in the pond, but Dumper knew Jade was a frog and wanted to be on top

Yes, I'll accept Jade is a male... name doesn't quite fit now. Maybe his name is "Jake".

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I met a guy called Jade a few weeks ago. I bought cockroaches from him.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I thought Jude would work as well.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I thought Jude would work as well.
    or Jud, or JD Frog. Or I think I'll use his nickname: Scar since he's messed up his face again from repeated escape attempts. Today I let him come out and he knew exactly where the new door is. He was waiting at at the door and I let him out to wander (supervised) He promptly found a warm spot across the room on top of Scooter's tank and fell asleep. He wants to be a free roaming frog... which isn't going to happen, but maybe once and a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Or Joad, short for Jody/Jodie. Or does that sound to much like toad?

Ive just been talking to someone about the Whites tree Frogs here and apparently if you do manage to get one and MAFF(Ministry of Agriculture,Forestry & Fisheries) finds out then they will destroy it. It seems that they think that back in the 60's when they were introduced, they didn't survive,and that the Whites frogs here now were brought in. There are cases going to court as we speak. Allot of unhappy people who had Whites destroyed. I will wait and see how things play out. I will just have to enjoy watching the Beautiful Whites families on this Forum. Scooter is going to be awesome to watch grow up.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    then they will destroy it...
    I read on another forum that in Australia they came in to a house after being tipped that the owner had cane toads as pets. they made the owner destroy the frogs! or face a huge fine (and still have to destroy them). Sorry you can't get one Ebony, Hopefully there will be a happy resolution. but I will take lots of pictures of scooter growing up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats horrible. Sorry you cant get a white's ebony how is the case that you are talking about?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Tom, Yea, It sucks like sour lemons. I only spoke to the guy today..He's gonna keep me posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

What frogs/ toads are you allowed to keep in NZ?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Funny you should ask that. We are aloud to keep the Frogs that were introduced here in the 60's with the White Tree Frogs. I have all of them. Southern Bell(Litoria raniformis, Green & Golden Bell(Litoria aurea) and the wee Whistling tree frog(Litoria ewigii).

Nationality
    [United States]

Nothing else? Ouch.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Yep..That's it as far as I know. We are not able to keep NZ native Frogs.( Hochstetter's frog, Archey's frog, Hamilton's frog, Maud Island frog)
    New Zealand's native frogs have several distinctive features, which make them very different from other frogs.
    They have no external eardrum.
    They have round (not slit) eyes.
    They don't croak regularly like most frogs.
    They don't have a tadpole stage. The embryo develops inside an egg, and then hatches as an almost fully-formed frog. The young of most species are cared for by their parents - for example, the male Archey's frog may carry his young offspring around on his back.

maneeta

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Ive just been talking to someone about the Whites tree Frogs here and apparently if you do manage to get one and MAFF(Ministry of Agriculture,Forestry & Fisheries) finds out then they will destroy it. It seems that they think that back in the 60's when they were introduced, they didn't survive,and that the Whites frogs here now were brought in. There are cases going to court as we speak. Allot of unhappy people who had Whites destroyed. I will wait and see how things play out. I will just have to enjoy watching the Beautiful Whites families on this Forum. Scooter is going to be awesome to watch grow up.
    W.T.F.??? (and that's not short for white's tree frog.) I see they probably fear animals from abroad disturbing NZ' unique fauna, but in my opinion that's a bit exaggerating..? I'm sure there'd be less extreme ways... or is there a different reason?

Nationality
    [United States]

No tadpole? really?

Kurt

Yeah, there are a few species where the tadpole develops in the eggs and it hatches out as a miniature version of it's parents. The now extinct gastric-brooding frogs did this and they took it one step further, by incubating the tadpoles/froglets in their stomachs.
    I am now working on an article about a toad from Tanzania the gives live birth to fully formed toadlets.

Also there are other frogs that lack tympanums, all the toads of the genus Atelopus lack these.

I am pretty sure mantellas and poison dart frogs also have round pupils.

Nationality
    [United States]

Whoa that breeding would probably easy.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    Whoa that breeding would probably easy.
    What breeding would be easy?

Emma318

Quote Originally Posted by into View Post
    or Jud, or JD Frog. Or I think I'll use his nickname: Scar since he's messed up his face again from repeated escape attempts. Today I let him come out and he knew exactly where the new door is. He was waiting at at the door and I let him out to wander (supervised) He promptly found a warm spot across the room on top of Scooter's tank and fell asleep. He wants to be a free roaming frog... which isn't going to happen, but maybe once and a while.
    That's amazing to me that your frog knows where the door is, and what it's for! I've never seen that kind of recognition in any of my guys - maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, huh?

When you let him out to free roam, how far does he usually go? You said he ended up across the room - I guess I didn't know that White's were that active! LOL! How do they stay so chunky then, with all that exercise!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information