Thread: Weird RETF legs are spazzing or something

Chaser

Unhappy URGENT!!! Weird RETF legs are spazzing or something

My Red-Eyed Leaf Frog jumped from a vine and landed in his water bowl. Then he did some kind Of thing with all his legs, it looks like he's streaching, but he does all legs at the same time. He has his legs in the air when he does this. Help me please I'm scared for my frogs safety!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: Weird RETF legs are spazzing or something

Is this the same frog that turned brown and hasnt eaten in 3 days since you brought him home?

Any chance you took pictures?

Has he done this more than once?

Chaser

Yeah it is

Chaser

I don't have any pictures tho is this a sign if a diesease or parasite?

bshmerlie

Sounds like the frog is under a lot of stress and other factors. The only way we can help you is if post some pictures of your setup and follow the advice that is given to you. You have said that you don't want to do fruit flies but that is probably the size feeder that your frog needs if he is small. He is not going to eat if the food item is too big. If his enclosure is not setup properly or his environmental conditions are not being me he could also start to have problems. If you want to help him you must address those things that could lead to problems.

Rae

Ok I did a bit of research and there are a few post about frogs haveing seizures... assumeing that is what you witnessed.

this might help. I copy and pasted the ladies response. and reply.

It sounds like tetany. These are muscular tremors, spasms and contractions brought on by low blood calcium levels. Has his diet included additional calcium on the crickets? If not, and he is still eating I would correct that right away. Try to avoid handling him, it can trigger the seizures and they are frequently fatal. Good luck

You are exactly right. I now feel like an idiot for trying to see what the matter was with him, which actually brought on the seizure which I now realize. He's doing a lot better now that I have bought him a calcium supplement. Thanks so much!

Rae

I also read that red eyed tree frogs moods can effect there colouring so stress may be the reason he went brown.

Rae

I havent read this Post yet but its from this forum and about a frog haveing seizures.

http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...-seizures.html

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey Chaser.

I second Cheri's motion. Post some pics and see if we can help you.

I have experienced firsthand a similar problem with my Tiger Legged Monkey Frogs, which are similar in body size and shape to Red Eyes. I dropped my male into the water once and he spazzed out, it seems your frog is doing the same thing.

I can't say for certain what it is he's doing, but it could be a number of things. I discussed this occurance with my breeder shortly after it happened and he said that he's seen frogs do that before and really isn't sure what the cause it, but they seemed to be alright after the spell was over. I suggested that it could be a defense mechanism, or maybe he was just really scared and had a sort of panic attack. The breeder said both of these were a possibility and suggested I just leave the frog alone for a little while.

Since then my frog has been fine, I haven't seen him to the spasm thing again and he's eating well. This happened shortly after I first got him, in the beginning or middle of March and I have since had no problems.

I suggest you cover the tank with paper and leave the room quiet and dark. Try not to bother the little guy for the next few days and only check on him when you go to change his water. Don't touch him or pick him up, unless it's an emergency, and try not too peek in on him too often.

Offer food, but don't try to force it. Your frog will eat when he's ready.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information