Thread: Feeding baby RETF

Chaser

Question Feeding baby RETF

Is there a substitute for fruit flies? What else can i feed him ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding baby RETF

How big is your baby?

You can feed the little guy tiny crickets. They sell them small, or even in pinhead sizes if the little guy is TOO little. XD;

How long have you had him? Maybe he's just not ready to eat yet?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Please note that I have not tried this, they are just some ideas that popped into my help:
    Newly hatched crickets or pinheads should be small enough for young red eyes, I belive.
    Now, I might be misstaken here, but bean beattles seem like a good choice. They are small and probably the easiest feeder to breed. They are excellent food for smaller lizards.
    Before trying bettles, get someone to confirm or say against it, as I have not tried it myself.

Chaser

Okay i have a small baby grasshopper and put it in his tank he hasn't eaten for 2 days i got him 2 days ago... The grasshopper is as long as his head.... i dont know why he wont eat.

Treefrognewbie

i have two baby Red eyes, and i feed them little crickets. You just gotta find the right size

bshmerlie

If he is a true baby you need to get some fruit flies right away. And then order true pin head crickets. A baby is not going to last that long without food. The food items can't be any larger than the width between his eyes. Im surprised a breeder sold you a frog without making sure you could feed it.

Chaser

Okay i just ordered 1/8 size crickets online.... its over night shipping too! so it should be here Friday!!! Wish me luck with my new frog!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also make sure you note that if you only got him two days ago he might not be ready to eat. The stress from traveling and being introduced to a new environment may have him a little scared. I suggest keeping the tank covered up with some paper of towels, keeping it dark and quiet and placing appropriately sized food items in there every once in a while, don't let him eat anything that won't fit in his mouth. Also, the more you check on him the more stressed out he'll be. If you stay calm and only check on him once in a while, chances are he'll come out and eat. Just be patient and don't try to force him, that's the worst thing you could do.

Go out and get some fruit flies and pin head crickets right away and don't feed your frog anything that has been acquired outside in the wild, only captive cultured crickets or flies.

Give him some time and relax.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Chaser

I just misted and replaced the water in his cage to be honest i thing he is not shy at all... he jumped onto my hand when i did it... that probably doesn't mean anything tho...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    I just misted and replaced the water in his cage to be honest i thing he is not shy at all... he jumped onto my hand when i did it... that probably doesn't mean anything tho...
    Well he could be a bold little frog, but just because he jumped on your hand doesn't mean he likes to be held all that much. Just be careful and give him time to settle in. I hope he does well with you.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Treefrognewbie

my red eye tree frog, Marvin, loves to be held Once you pick him up, it's very hard to get him to go back into the tank. haha but i don't mind his company outside of the tank! :

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrognewbie View Post
    my red eye tree frog, Marvin, loves to be held Once you pick him up, it's very hard to get him to go back into the tank. haha but i don't mind his company outside of the tank! :
    I could be off, but I've always taken that to be self defense as wild Gray Tree Frogs that I move to a safe(r) location (i.e. not in the path of the lawn mower) are always hard to put down and I honestly doubt that they enjoy being held in any way by the giant monster that just about mowed them down. It's harder to eat something if it's clinging to your ear. This is the Millennium Falcon defense practised by H. solo- stick to the Star Destroyer and hope to go unnoticed until you have a chance to escape.

14. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with UncleChester. I don't think frogs can "like to be held" per se. Every time you pick them up you could be potentially spreading toxins from your hands into your skin. I only ever pick my frogs up if I must, or sometimes for a photo op, but White's are definitely different with handling then other frogs, especially thin bodied ones like Red Eyes.

But that's just my two cents.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Chaser

I have not picked up my frog besides that one time. He seams stressed out the way it is... ( he was shipped overnight to my house)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    I have not picked up my frog besides that one time. He seams stressed out the way it is... ( he was shipped overnight to my house)
    Oh I know, that's alright. I just wanted to make sure you new the dangers.

Shipping can be quite stressful for frogs, which could be why he's not eating right away. In time if you leave him be he'll get over it.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Treefrognewbie

i guess i'm done holding my frogs then.. and i was aware of the dangers. That's why you clean your hands! haha without soap of course..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treefrognewbie View Post
    i guess i'm done holding my frogs then.. and i was aware of the dangers. That's why you clean your hands! haha without soap of course..
    There's no water or chemical on this earth that can wash off the natural bacteria and oils in your skin unfortunately, at least not 100%.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Thread Information