Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community tank

Lady Leean

Default Re: Community tank

I have done some reasuch as well and it looks like if i just don't do water and just have it land with a tiny water dish it would work but that I shouldn't have a lot of water of fish. On another note does any one know if a bonsi tree would do well in a terrarium.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

A water dish is all I use and he baths in it every evening =) I just change it daily sometimes more often if I see subrate in it. The cleaner the better =)

No Idea about bonsai trees though sorry...

Pothos are highly recommended and if you want go look at the Terrarium and vivarium section and you might find some helpful ideas ... just make sure you look at grey tree frog safe plants.

When I was looking for moss I was told to make sure if I dig up my own moss to watch what trees and plants are near it some are poisonous to greys... like Cedar trees I believe was poisonous.

4. This member thanks Rae for this post:

Lady Leean

Cool Re: Community tank

What kind of moss do you use???

Rae

Lol I dont =( my moss was under cedar trees lol.

Sheet moss is recommended though I cant find untreated sheet moss at the garden places here.

Spaghnum (hope I spelt that right) is common though its easier for crickets to hide in =(

I currently just use the brick subtrate that expands in water coko husk I think.

What ever you choose to use make sure it is chemical and pesticidide free.

Im actually currently looking into Exo Terras new Moss carpet but havent seen any posts about it yet.

7. This member thanks Rae for this post:

Lady Leean

were do you go to find out about terrarium setup

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't use sphagnum moss because gray tree frogs are aggressive eaters and could catch a mouth full and become impacted. I have some nice sheet moss in my tank and it's working really well. Your substrate should be the eco earth, that is a great one. If you want live plants, make sure to put in a drainage layer. I have a lot of nice plants, I have 2 ficus and a bromeliad that are definitely my tree frogs favorite plants. I also have a few viney type plants in there and some ferns.

If you want to put in a cool water feature, you can always research how to build a waterfall in your tank. I purchased a premade waterfall but then had to make some adjustments because it didn't work correctly. Remember that height is more important than anything with your tree frogs. Mine do not touch the ground for any reason except occasionally during hunting, they like their arboreal space. If you want some good ideas, you should look through the vivarium thread on here. I watched that for a while before building my viv and it wouldn't have been nearly as wonderful without the advice and tips I got from the members here.

If you really want to go the bonsai tree route, look for something tropical that can handle the humidity and something strong so your frogs wont destroy it
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Lol I dont =( my moss was under cedar trees lol.

Sheet moss is recommended though I cant find untreated sheet moss at the garden places here.

Spaghnum (hope I spelt that right) is common though its easier for crickets to hide in =(

I currently just use the brick subtrate that expands in water coko husk I think.

What ever you choose to use make sure it is chemical and pesticidide free.

Im actually currently looking into Exo Terras new Moss carpet but havent seen any posts about it yet.
    Check the florists shops too--that's our source for moss.

11. 2 members thank Lacibeth for this post:

Rae

eco earth might actually be what I use, not coco husk sorry.

and I have to agree with Lily about spaghnum moss I have read they can get that in there mouth easily and become impacted too.

Lady Leean

Ok, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information