Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your fave?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default What is your fave?

What is your favorite frog/toad species and why?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: What is your fave?

My Green and Golden Bell frogs are my favourite because they aren't shy and they always do something funny every day (not now they're hibernating). They are very energetic and while hunting they try to take down the earthworms I put in for the soil even though the worms are atleast 15cm and the frogs are only 4-5cm. They each have their own personalities Camo is the ninja always trying to hide yet when she comes out she sticks around for ages and poses for photos and she is a tank at catching flying food. Jabba is the greedy frog (hence the name) she always goes for food even when she's fat and she always does something funny even sitting their sometimes she looks like she's smiling at me. Now Tim Tam is the runt of the litter so has SFS (Small Frog Syndrome) she is very territorial and even chases Jabba away from the ramp even though Jabba is nearly a cm bigger.

A story on how funny they are:
    I was using a syringe to water some moss because the soil was dry. Tim Tam and Jabba were sat next to the moss, so as I was slowly dripping the water onto the moss the frogs decided to attack the water (the dripping enticed them) and ended up taking turns to drink from the syringe,silly frogs.

Another story the frogs are funny to watch hunt flying insects:
    So I occasionaly put in moths and daddy long legs (crane flies) and Tim Tam and Camo love them. Tim Tam will push herself up onto all four legs and sprint across the tank like a mini dog until she is under the insects,she then jumps up randomly like a dog at a cat until she gets one. Camo is a NINJA she will be at the other side of the tank watching Tim Tam fail then she jumps the whole length of the tank and snatch them out of the air and land on the glass perfectly. sometimes they are in the middle of the tank and Camo will come flying out of nowhere and grab them just before Tim Tam can jump up. Tim Tam will sit there staring at the empty air dumbfounded as to where they went. I think this makes her sad because she dog walks off into the darkest spot of the tank and hides there for hours.

Rae

I have to say Im quite partail to Greys... I find there colour range that they can change fascinateing. They might not be the most bright colourful beautiful frogs but I find there calls one of the most appealing that I have heard and we spent a whole night googleing frog and toad calls one night shortly after Frodo first started calling.
    Also I cant lie, I love how they are one of the easiest to care for and can handle a range of temperature and humidy which is pleasing to someone who killed every fish and plant shes ever owned.
    Also with 2 young children, a husband who wont stop trying to touch Frodo (yes I have told him not too) and a cat and Dog in the house... the non poisoness factor of Greys unlike some of the... prettier frogs out there lol.. is a big plus

oo I forgot so im editting this lol

I also like the size =) Im not a big frog person so the full grown size of approx 2.5 inches is nice too XD

5. This member thanks Rae for this post:

nicodimus22

I admit I have never owned any frogs or toads other than my current ones, which I think are Fowler's, so I'll have to go with that. I have always thought that toads were beautiful animals, even though they are kind of a universal symbol of ugliness. The eyes of toads in general just look full of wisdom to me for some reason.

Lacibeth

I love Mantella's even though I don't keep them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing guys!!

SkeletalFrog

Ceratophrys cornuta, particularly green ones, are my favorite. Sadly, I have yet to keep one sucessfully, though I tried once with a WC (who wound up as the skeleton in my user icon). I'm avidly awaiting the next batch of CB froglets.

bshmerlie

Its hard to say the favorite because they are all unique and have qualities that I enjoy.
    So here are my favorites:
    1. Favorite Tree Frog- Red Eye Leaf Frog, you can't beat them for their grace and beauty. They do well in groups, you can get yellow or green ones. They wont eat you out of house and home. Easy to keep.

2. Favorite PDF- Cobalts- They are bold and active all day long. They interact with each other and are great frogs for a display tank. Very easy to keep.

3. Favorite Thumbnail PDF- Veradero-What can be more fun then a bright red frog with black racing stripes? They move around the tank all day. Easy to keep.

4. Favorite Breeder- E. Anthonyi Santa Isabel- They are the easiest frog to breed. They just do it. It is fun to watch the eggs develop and dad protect them. The dad will sing from the top leaves and then transport the tadpoles to water when the eggs hatch. Its just amazing. Very easy to keep.

5. Favorite feeder- Fruit Flies- They make themselves really easy and they are practically free. And they don't stink like crickets.

BG

1. Giant african bullfrog 2.white's tree frogs 3.pacman frogs,Why? because they love to eat,easy to keep, and very colorful .

Nationality
    [United States]

I love my RETFs due to their colors and their calling

but I love the fact that dart frogs are diurnal and you can see them during the daytime (even though I don't own any)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.1.0 Big Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    0.1.0 Mixed Breed Puppy <3
    Way too many fish

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is definitely a hard thread to post in, simply because I only own two species of frogs currently but I love all kinds, even those I have had no experience with.

I'd have to say that White's are my favorite. Bruce Campbell, my first frog, is a White's and I don't regret the decision to start off easy. White's have great personalities and are great beginner frogs. Also, their ability to be handled more often than other frogs has to be a plus, though you still have to take it easy I love to be able to hold them for brief periods of time without worrying that I'll hurt them in some way. It's a lot easier to connect with an animal when you can hold them in your hands. Another thing I like about White's is their wide range of colors. I know usually they're restricted to just the basic brown, green, and blue, but I've seen White's range from yellow, to orange, to purple, to almost black. Having a variety of them in one tank should be a fun experience.

Although I don't own darts I'd have to say I already have a favorite, and it's solely based on the visual aspect, but whatever. XD R. vanzolinii have to be my favorite darts, just because of their amazing coloration.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

For me, it's a tie between the White's and gray tree frogs, for the same reasons. They're so tame and tolerant of human shenanigans, one can't help but grow to adore them. I also like them for their hardiness, their at-rest posture with their little hands clasped, their permanent smile, as well as their absolute lack of shame when it comes to chow time.

bshmerlie

So Amy what is your favorite frog and why?

Chaser

The Red Eyed Tree/leaf Frog

I love mine!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have not fully decided yet!!

I really love the Eastern American Toadlets because they are like little puppies. When we come up to the tank they get all excited and hop out of their hiding places to see if we have food for them. They are quite active even during the day, and just so darn tiny and cute!

My Gray Tree Frogs are just amazing though. They each have their own personality and you can see them individually instead of a "group" like the toadlets. Paddy is so tame and always so seemingly happy. Leggy is the big tough guy being the only male, which is funny since he is the smallest frog of them all! Willow is kind of a cranky pants but she grudgingly comes to me because her appetite is bigger than her attitude. Silvermist is the most interested in making friends with the other frogs, always following them around and trying to hang out wherever they are. She is also the water junky, if she's not practically on top of one of the other frogs, she is sitting in the waterfall letting the water run all over her back.

I do not like the green frogs so far. They are slimy like people tend to think frogs are (even though most arent) and boring.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killerecho View Post
    For me, it's a tie between the White's and gray tree frogs, for the same reasons. They're so tame and tolerant of human shenanigans, one can't help but grow to adore them. I also like them for their hardiness, their at-rest posture with their little hands clasped, their permanent smile, as well as their absolute lack of shame when it comes to chow time.
    I love that little bit about their smile. It's so true. You can't help but smile back. And the way they sleep...just priceless.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

Very interesting. If you hadn't noticed I've been collecting a variety of species to fill my tanks in my frog closet. I've been getting the frogs that I've really been interested in getting for awhile. Once Im done with those tanks I wont be adding anymore so the ones I keep will all be my favorites. My clown frog for example....is a little too shy for my taste and I will probably sell her to make room for glass frogs when they become available. I sold my two Stolzmannis to make room for some thumbnails I wanted. By the time Im done all the frogs I keep will be something that I really enjoy keeping. Frogs are pretty easy to sell so don't keep something that you wouldn't put on this list. You can only have so many tanks...make them count.

Treefrognewbie

right now, my favorites are red eye tree frogs i just got two little guys , and they are so cool! I'm new to this hobby, so i plan to get other species,but red eyes are my favorites right now!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Awww. No love for the green frog? I've actually had the pleasure of raising 5 of them earlier from tadpoles a few months ago. They had very individualistic personalities, ranging from bold to spastically nervous. One wouldn't feed as long as I was in the room. Another would try to eat its own shadow.

Quick story: I once dropped a full-grown female cricket accidentally into their enclosure. They normally fed on half inchers. This one was almost as big as the frogs. Before I had a chance to take it out, the boldest of the 5 (we called it Birdie) already had it in its mouth (see pic). I wrestled with the choice between leaving them be or yanking the cricket out. 5 minutes later, Birdie was no closer to devouring its meal. Fearing it might choke, I pulled the cricket forcibly out of its mouth. Birdie spent the rest of the evening dragging a partially extended tongue. The cricket, apparently no worse for the wear, hopped away, and was promptly removed from the enclosure.

No, they don't hold a candle to gray tree frogs in terms of cuddly cuteness and interactivity. But they grew on me over time with their own brand of quirky humor. I'm sure they will with you too.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I have not fully decided yet!!

I really love the Eastern American Toadlets because they are like little puppies. When we come up to the tank they get all excited and hop out of their hiding places to see if we have food for them. They are quite active even during the day, and just so darn tiny and cute!

My Gray Tree Frogs are just amazing though. They each have their own personality and you can see them individually instead of a "group" like the toadlets. Paddy is so tame and always so seemingly happy. Leggy is the big tough guy being the only male, which is funny since he is the smallest frog of them all! Willow is kind of a cranky pants but she grudgingly comes to me because her appetite is bigger than her attitude. Silvermist is the most interested in making friends with the other frogs, always following them around and trying to hang out wherever they are. She is also the water junky, if she's not practically on top of one of the other frogs, she is sitting in the waterfall letting the water run all over her back.

I do not like the green frogs so far. They are slimy like people tend to think frogs are (even though most arent) and boring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Treefrognewbie

My favorite (that i own), are my Red Eye Tree Frogs! They have beautiful colors! Mine are almost a neon green during the day, and a dark green, almost brown at night! The more social one(also the only frog i see all the time) has blue/purple on his sides, and one time, i saw that Radar, my other red eye, had yellow, with black bars!! They are just amazing frogs! They may not be active, but they sure are pretty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information