0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Re: MOTW - MeTree - Monday

Oh wow, neat!

Hi, my name is Stanton. I am 16 living at home with my parents and 3 siblings. I hope to be getting a job somewhat soon. My hobbies other than pets (which I will discuss soon) would be mainly music. I took violin lessons for 5 1/2 years (4 years ago), and guitar lessons for 1 1/2 (about 2 years ago), and now I play bass guitar in my youth band, even though I never took lessons.

That was a funny story! My youth paster walked up to me on Sunday and asked if I wanted to play bass in the youth band (knowing that I had never touched a bass in my life). Our basist graduated, so I said that would be fine. Monday, that Monday I went to practice with the band. The Wednesday I was preforming at our Wednesday service! Wow. What a leap.

Anyway, I really love music! Maybe some of you have heard Malcolm's song (that is the only one of many pet songs I have on the internet right now) LOL. So, uh, yeah....

I am also a Life Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. I have been in it for either almost or a little over 3 years now. Just got back from an Oklahoma Summer Camp a little more than a week ago. Reciently I was elected as Senior Patrol Leader of my troop, which is pretty neat. I will likely have my Eagle Scout (the highest rank in Scouting) in about 6-7 months. I love the outdoors.

Now I will talk about my pets briefly. When I started pets, I started with fish in the summer of 2010. After losing my shark to unideal water conditions I decided that I would take the time to really learn this instead of just quitting. I got on the internet and found out tons.

My next start was perfect, and I still have 2 out of 4 of the fish I started out with on June 15th (the other 2 died from a diesase introduced by a fish I got directly from my independant local pet store). Tony, my betta, is still to this day my best (coldblooded) buddy because he always swims up to the glass and excitedly swims and watches me when I get close. I have written 2 songs about him, but they aren't on the internet (it is hard to record a song and make it sound decient). I am also a moderator on a betta forum.

Later in Febuary I had afew fish tanks up and running. That is when I decided I would go Saltwater. Actually, I decided in January, but I didn't get started until Febuary. I checked Craigslist everyday for over a month and a half. Finally, after daily checking, I found a deal. An insane deal! Pretty much everything I needed for $150 plus the 2 hour drive I convinced my parents to take me on.

My next big project was one that some of you may be quite familier with. My Pacman Frog, Malcolm. How did I go from fish to frog? Good question! Let me explain. I found out about a Boy Scout Merit Badge called,"Reptile and Amphibian Study". One of the requirements states that you have to keep a reptile or amphibian (and then there was a harder alternative that I wasn't interested in). An excuse! I started studying African Clawed Frogs because I wanted a monsterous pet frog (). I went through weeks and weeks of research. That is even the reason I found out about this forum. I was researching them on a fish forum and one of the members recomended this forum to me, and I am so glad she did! But even after all that research, I wasn't allowed to keep an African Clawed Frog. Why? My brother was afraid that it would escape (as they have been known to do) and eat his 2 goldfish (and they are also known for eating goldfish). My brother's anxiety was the reason my parents banned the idea of an African Clawed Frog, even though the frog would never have been able to climb straight up my brother's glass 55g aquarium!

So I didn't know what to do. That idea was banned, and I still wanted the merit badge. While I was researching, I remembered looking over something I remembered being called a "Pacman Frog". I just saw a picture in a catalog, but it was then I remembered. So that was my next research project. I finally got Malcolm a little bit more than 2 months later, after much research and special ordering him from my local independant fish store. That is how that started.

Then I won the contest on Frog Forum, and Cheri has been so nice to sponser my entire Poison Dart Frog setup! I *really* appreciate all the time and money she has put into it to make the vivarium look absolutely stunning! I got my female this week and she is doing well. She seems to not be afraid anymore. She was shooting down a bunch of dusted fruit flies today with her long, fast, purple tounge. It was so cute and amazing to watch! Here is a vid of her I put together this morning.
    ‪First Poison Dart Frog!‬‏ - YouTube

As far as future projects....Only time will tell. I have looked into pretty much everything! From all kinds of frogs, to snakes (which are banned), to taranchulas (which are also banned), to scorpions (which are banned), to bearded and water dragons (which are expensive), to all kinds of other animals LOL. I still want to get another Colombian Shark and setup a 75g brackish tank some day (after I move out), but other than that....LOL, I don't know.

Well, I that is just a quick read-up of my life.

Thank you all for voting me MOTW! It is an honor.

-Stanton

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MOTW - MeTree - Monday

That is awesome Stanton! It is great to see you doing so much research and putting so much care into your pets I am also a violinist myself, but I have never ventured into other instruments. You rock!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Baelari

You got a badge and a frog addiction. Sounds like a good deal to me! I always wanted to join the boy scouts when I was little, but couldn't, mainly due to having a lack of boy parts.

Poor little banned snakes, what did they ever do to anyone?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks guys!

I am sorry, I have been so busy, the last two days I forgot I was MOTW!

I guess I need a Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday thread conjoined. Whoops. Sorry about that guys.

I did get a new song up on Youtube today, though. It is called "My Coldblooded World". It's a rap song (sort of). I figured you all needed to know since I am MOTW LOL!

http://youtu.be/7LeGRXPgK04

So I guess later today (Thursday) I will be catching up on my MOTW stuff. Sorry about that guys.

bshmerlie

Congrats Stanton...we're happy to have you here as part of our FF family. I hope you enjoy your new frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow now that I'm back on FF I'm really excited to be getting into this cool Member of the Week contest, seeing what you've put together here Stanton.

Great long post! And I love your video. Keep up the good work! I hope you make that Eagle Scout promotion.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information