Thread: Gray tree frog

ngmayo6

Talking Gray tree frog

I have 3 grey tree frogs. I first found two of them both about the same size and then a week later i found a much smaller one. The two larger ones are female and the smaller one is a male... Very spunky one always calling for the two females but they just ignore him lol. i have had them for almost three months now. They have doubled in size and got pretty fat i think i was feeding them to much. They will eat almost seven meal worms every night so i cut it down to just about 4 or 5 and they seem to be loosing weight. When i first got them they could easily climb the walls of the aquarium and they got so big that if i put them on the glass they try to climb it and slowly fall to th bottm. I also made a daily work out plan of putting them on the glass to climb wich has significantly helped they can now climb it to the top agian and also just stay in one spot with out slipping down. I just recently Compleltely redid the terrarium. Spent hours adding soil and moss and little baby ivy plants and plenty of green Hoping that my tree frogs will turn green but The most they ever turn green is just a little bit on the dark patterns of thier back and face, does any one have any idea the best way to get them to turn green? the tank also has a green anole (wich they get along great with) 6 salamanders (2 red back, 2 two lined, 1 dusky, 1 four toed) and 3 baby wood frogs. Everything gets along and there is no stress i feed everything idividually so i know they are all getting food. The tank is only a 20 gallon and i know everything should be ina larger tank or separate ones but it was only temparary untill i relized everything had its own room (wood frogs stay at the bottom mainly and hide in the dirt and moss along with the sallys, who sometimes rest in the water pool, and the anole stays in the branches and leaves along with the gray tree frogs who ussually only come down when the male sitsing the water and calls the females. What im wondering is if this is a good home for all of them and also what will help my frogs trun brighter green?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray tree frog

Firstly, welcome!

Second, your tree frogs are beautiful.

Unfortunately, I have to critique a little bit... You should not be mixing species. Even if they were all the same species, that's way too many animals for a 20 gallon tank. Gray tree frogs have their own toxins that will effect the other animals. They might not seem stressed yet, but after several months, it'll start to effect them. Now, on to the meal worms, that is not a healthy diet for the tree frogs. It'll fatten them up, but with very little nutrition. Also, you risk impaction by feeding mealworms. It's okay on occasion, but your better, healthier bet would be crickets.

I have 4 gray tree frogs, they are all in the same enclosure. It's 35 gallons and decorated with a lot of greens and browns. I have 1 tree frog that stays bright green, one that varies from white to green, another that goes anywhere between nearly black and white with green spots, and another that stays totally gray and black. I don't know exactly what affects their color, but it doesnt seem to matter in my vivarium, they all take on their own colors.

It seems like you really care about the health off your pets, so I would definitely get each species in their own enclosure and get some crickets. You will have some very happy pets then!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Amy has given you quality advice. Regarding turning green, they only do this on a green background in my experience. There may be a temperature factor too - I've seen more take on green colors at warmer temperatures.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

5. This member thanks John for this post:

ngmayo6

Thanks for your help! i know that one i shouldnt mix species and that there are two many in there . I had the salamanders in the tank with the frogs and then i got them thier own about a week ago .. two of them died the next day and i have had them for a couple moths so i put them back in the tank lol. Im going to be releasing the wood frogs because they are very shy and dig to much and they dont really have distinct personality like my tree frogs. I did recently read up on the frogs becoming impacted and that you shoudlnt feed them just meal worms so im going to get some crickets tonight because im almost out of thier mealworms anyways also i did start to notice thier fecies was looking a little undigested. I noticed that if the tanks has more light in it the frogs are becoming brighter and more green! Thanks for your help much apreciated!

Rae

I agree with the above posts completely. When you get a chance check out the gray tree frog care sheet very helpful.

Also when I was wondering on size and space a few people told me here to use these 2 rules... one never mix species
    .............two one frog per 10 gallons.

I feed my full grown grey male 3 crickets every other night. and once in a while he gets any house flies I might catch lol.

Oh and make sure the crickets are no wider than the frogs head... better to go a lil smaller than chance any problems.

If any of this is helpful please feel free to click on my reputation button it be appreciated

Thread Information