Thread: Hey Guys! :)

Treefrognewbie

Talking Hey Guys! :)

Well, I'm Cam! I just got into frogs after going to a reptile expo this weekend. I bought 2 albino red eye tree frogs, and then a couple days earlier i caught a green tree frog, and a house gecko! All of my new frogs/gecko are babies. I just made them a poludarium today! Now i just gotta post a picture of all my new buddies and their new home! I'm hoping to learn alot from this site, since i'm new to frogs.!

guppygal

Default Re: Hey Guys! :)

Welcome to the board, Cam! There's a ton of info here and lots of wonderful hobbyists who can answer just about any question you may have.

Frogs are fun, so have a blast
    kristi
    poison dart frogs, and lot's of 'em ~

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey Cam, I'm glad that you've gotten into the hobby! It can be very fun and a little less lonely once you have all your new froggie friends.

I do have to ask though, are you housing your Green Tree Frog and your Red Eyes in the same tank with a house Gecko? I ask this because as a general rule of thumb we in the hobby try to avoid housing different species of frogs together in the same tank. The same goes for your gecko, lizards can sometimes be the natural enemies of frogs and I don't think it's very healthy for all of them to be housed together. All different species of frogs have different toxins in their skins that can be harmful to other frogs if they're exposed for too long. I highly recommend that you separate them immediately and put the house gecko and Green Tree Frog in a different tank. Also generally even if the frogs are the same species it's best to separate any newcomers you buy for at least 30 days to make sure they're not caring any parasites or diseases that could effect the health of your other animals. This goes especially for wild caught animals, as they are often born with parasites that will become hostile once they are captured and put into an enclosed environment.

These are just my recommendations. I hope you find them and any other information you seek very helpful.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome!! Congratulations on your new friends I, too, would recommend housing them separately if they happen to be housed together. Not only the issues of toxins and parasites, but they all have different needs when it comes to temperature and humidity.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Treefrognewbie

Thanks guys for that info!! I don't really have anywhere else to put the gecko and green.. i guess i could put them back in my critter keeper? All of my new frogs/gecko are little babies, so it wouldn't be much of a problem until they get older and bigger. Any ideas what i should do with them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You need to get them each their own tank, if that isnt possible and the green tree frog and gecko haven't been in captivity very long, you could always release them and look for new ones when you're prepared. Even though they are just babies, they are still poisoning each other with their toxins, not to mention the possible transport of infections and parasites to each other.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Treefrognewbie

I have had them less than a week. So not too long. I kept the frog because i was just excited to actually catch/see a frog. ha. Thanks again.

Thread Information