Thread: Good Light Bulb

demeteraurion

Lightbulb Good Light Bulb

I was wondering if this looks like a good light bulb to use for an albino pac's tank. I have a UTH right now but its not keeping it warm enough. I was told not to use a light but this is a red flourescent one and that seems good as I was told frogs can not see red and it will not dry him out:
    NEW Red CFL Compact Flourescent Light Bulb 13w = 60w | eBay

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: Good Light Bulb

I noticed my red eyes continued sleeping when i used a night bulb.
    Tried the red, green and blue ones, but they clearly saw it.

Better use a ceramic heat lamp if you wan't to heat from above.
    Otherwise you can use a heatmat or wire underneath.
    Best to use a thermostate with all options btw.

demeteraurion

Hmmm, might get a CHE but they are so expensive! Although I plan on using the light during the day, I don't need any heating for nighttime because the temperature is always 75 or 76. As long the red CFL bulb is going to raise the temp without agitating my albino I would get it.

Guenhwyvar

I was told that a blue light wouldn't hurt an albino. They are good for all the variaties and makes them look more colorful. I just got a coralife colormax 10w bulb for my tank and paired it with the blue. The colors are amazing and no extra heat has been added. I have live plants in my tank too, so it helps them grow better. My canopy is filling out nicely. I read a lot of reviews saying they didn't like it because it looks pinkish, I don't see it, but I am colorblind, so...it just looks nicer to me. My plants also look more vibrant.

demeteraurion

Just found this at the Lowe's website: Shop Feit Electric 60-Watt Equivalent Blue Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb at Lowes.com
    So I will pick it up today while Im out. They also have it in red as well, so I'm not sure what to get. I read a study on albino rats and that the red light didn't affect their eyesight but it did have an affect on their reproductive organs.

Guenhwyvar

I got a coralife colormax bulb. It promotes plant growth because I have live plants and uses a blue hue so no frog roasting I want to pair it with a night bulb to give him more comfort. I've read reviews on the bulb saying it has a pink hue, but I don't see it. I've found one that said it did, but there was a blue bulb option. It's $10 at petsmart.

demeteraurion

Ended up with a 25w blue party bulb I got at Home Depot and its doing the trick. I would use a black bulb for night.

Capojames

I wouldn't use any type of heat light on pacmans u will dry them out. There skin is very sensitive to it. I own over 30 pac's. I used exo terra 13w 2.0 ubv bulbs.

Guenhwyvar

Quote Originally Posted by Capojames View Post
    I wouldn't use any type of heat light on pacmans u will dry them out. There skin is very sensitive to it. I own over 30 pac's. I used exo terra 13w 2.0 ubv bulbs.
    Who's using a heat bulb?

demeteraurion

Quote Originally Posted by Guenhwyvar View Post
    Who's using a heat bulb?
    I think he means the 25w bulb im using. It is such a low wattage that it really only heats it up a few degrees and it still stays rather humid, plus all the shade from the foliage, I'm not worried that I'm going to cook him.

Guenhwyvar

Quote Originally Posted by demeteraurion View Post
    I think he means the 25w bulb im using. It is such a low wattage that it really only heats it up a few degrees and it still stays rather humid, plus all the shade from the foliage, I'm not worried that I'm going to cook him.
    Oh, I was lost a bit I don't remember reading anything about heat lights, so I got confused.
    I just got a light I was told would produce a nice dull blue night type glow, but when I put it in, It glowed RED! I don't really want to get the other blue light because it's incandescent...you think it'd be okay paired with my fluorescent? or should I spring for another expensive fluorescent(like the one I have)?

demeteraurion

What is the wattage? My bulb is blue but its a dark/green blue unlike the daylight incandescent bulbs that are bright white. I think an incandescent bulb is fine as long as the wattage is low like 15 or 25.

Guenhwyvar

it is a 15watt that I'm looking at. I think I'll get it an wait a bit before I pay big money for another light. I hope it does the trick. I'm really liking the coralife bulb, they make a night/day one too; it's 9.99 at petsmart.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

All the books I have say that heat lights are fine as long as the wattage doesn't go ant higher than 50 and daylight bulbs aren't necissary but the pacman would benefit from the full spectrum lighting because it helps to produce vitamin D3 which they need. I have a 40 or 50 watt daylight blue for day time ane it usually only gets to around 83 to 84 during the day. Plus a under tank heater.

Guenhwyvar

My coralife bulb is blue hue and full spectrum. It looks awesome and has my plants sprouting like crazy, I may need to go on a trimming spree before I get my frog in there.

jjas12475

i had my new pacman frog for 3 days and he did not eat yet is that normal i just leave the crickets in ther for him please help i am a newbbie!

Guenhwyvar

Quote Originally Posted by jjas12475 View Post
    i had my new pacman frog for 3 days and he did not eat yet is that normal i just leave the crickets in ther for him please help i am a newbbie!
    You don't need to post the same thing in more than one thread. He's shellshocked from being transported all over the place. Take the crickets out, they can cause injury to your frog if left in there uneaten. Feed him again in a day. Give him 2-3 crickets and leave him be for an hour or so. He's stressed and depending on what kind of pacman you have, he'll take some time to settle.

demeteraurion

You don't need to post the same thing in more than one thread. He's shellshocked from being transported all over the place. Take the crickets out, they can cause injury to your frog if left in there uneaten. Feed him again in a day. Give him 2-3 crickets and leave him be for an hour or so. He's stressed and depending on what kind of pacman you have, he'll take some time to settle.
    I leave crickets in with my pac but I leave food for them to eat too, is this okay? Or do I need to take out the crickets after a while?

Guenhwyvar

Quote Originally Posted by demeteraurion View Post
    I leave crickets in with my pac but I leave food for them to eat too, is this okay? Or do I need to take out the crickets after a while?
    I leave a carrot piece in my frog's tank for the crickets. I think it helps prevent them from going for your frog. They also come out to feed and the frogs get them easier. A pacman, I'd watch to make sure he didn't eat the cricket food along with the cricket. He probably can't digest carrot or really anything else other than bugs.

it is a 15watt that I'm looking at. I think I'll get it an wait a bit before I pay big money for another light. I hope it does the trick. I'm really liking the coralife bulb, they make a night/day one too; it's 9.99 at petsmart.
    Do they still have them in stock? Otherwise, would you recommend other led lights alternatives?

Thread Information