Thread: Worried about my Pacman

LizardMama

Default Worried about my Pacman

My frog looked fine the last time I checked him but I just had a look at him and he was all sunk in, noticeably thinner and just plain looked ill in form. He's been eating yes but only 1 cricket the last few nights and he did poo this morning. I'd like to know if this is normal for him or if I should take him to a vet. I did touch him and he went from what he was, a shriveled up frog, to a plump frog. What's going on with my frog? I'm real worried right now about him.

I have been counting the crickets that I put in his cage, he went from eating 2 a night to 1, today he left a long poo in his cage (not sure when he did it). I pulled the legs from the crickets in his cage and left, when I returned 1 of the crickets was gone. He moved last night from his shelter (homemade, I put it in there last night) and is burrowed near his water dish, he is still there.

The temperature of the cage he is in is between 74 and 76 degrees, he's got Eco Earth (Coconut Fibers) in his cage that I do mist daily. My frog is about the size of a quarter, he's a baby

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: Worried about my Pacman

I'd bump up the temperature to 80-85 and he should start showing more interest in food. Or use a UVB light as long as hes not albino

LizardMama

He's not an albino, he's brownish green. I just noticed that the larger of the crickets in his cage is missing so maybe he is eating. Since he's been in my home he has moved well, he's pooped two or three times and from the crickets I've noticed that between 1 and 2 are missing. I'll bump his temperature up some and see if that helps out with him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is is possible he had just eaten a cricket when you walked in and saw him all sunken in? Or maybe had just finished eating his shed skin? Right after mine eats something, especially if it's live prey, he'll sink in like that for a minute, gulp, blink his eyes, and then go back to normal. I think it's just something they do with their muscles to make sure the food stays down.
    If yours keeps doing it even when it hasn't eaten, then that's probably not what's going on. Just thought that sounded aLOT like what I see mine doing sometimes.

demeteraurion

Yeh your frog sounds pretty fine. Mine quit eating and stopped burrowing and kept flipping over on his back. I started treating him for chytrid fungus and he's been improving. As long as he's pooping he should be eating. Your frog is really cute!

LizardMama

I've wanted a Pacman Frog for a long time now but wasn't able to get into really wanting one until now. I do love him lots and I do hope he is alright. Besides my frog I have lizards, about 14 to be exact lol. My Pacman is my first frog so I am a bit anxious if I see anything that looks wrong. He's not as big as he was a few days ago but he's not thin (right now that is). I've pulled the back legs off of his crickets so that he can get them a little easier

LizardMama

Btw, this is the pic I took of him last night.
    Meet Octavian

Nationality
    [United States]

Cute frog. I don't think anything's wrong with it Haha, I'd say not to worry so much about it, but my pac is also my first frog and even though he's fine I still get worried every time he doesn't eat as much as I think he ought to or blinks too fast or whatever non-problematic thing he's doing at the time!

LizardMama

This is him now, the pic above was of him last night before he pooped

I guess after pooping he shrank and just needs to eat some more to get that plumpness back (I hope!!)

demeteraurion

How deep is your substrate? It should be deep enough that he can bury himself completely if he wants to.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The substrate does look quite shallow for a burrowing frog. Another thing, a bit off topic...

Does the same rule for feed pacs apply as it does for tree frogs, with the crickets being no larger than the width of the eyes? Just asking because that cricket looks quite large for the little guy.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

LizardMama

Yeah I'm planning on adding more substrate to his cage today as yes he doesn't have enough. He ate that cricket but I'll add some that are a little smaller than that one

LizardMama

Is it alright to use a red light on Pacman Frogs? The cage in front of him houses a Leopard Gecko and he uses a red heat lamp, 75 watt, and some of the light does hit the frogs' cage. The light isn't on him but the light does light up his cage though. I added some more substrate to his cage, he hasn't burrowed down in it (normal, I suppose) and the temperature now in his cage is between 80-82 degrees F (26-27 degrees C)

Thread Information