Thread: Green items for Terrarium?

Rae

Question Green items for Terrarium?

Hey Im trying to find more green and fake items to put in my terrarium to replace all the brown. I have 2 Grey tree frogs.

I live in Ontario Canada.

Im looking for plastic green bamboo or something similar to replace the brown vines... any ideas on what and where to get something like this?

also anything green I can use instead of the regular subtrate... I cant seem to find sheet moss here.

Any help appreciated .. oh do I need a background on the terrarium or can I take it right out... Frodo is never on it but the crickets sometimes hid on the top crack where Frodo cant get... there Blinds behind the terrarium and it gets some light threw but not direct or constant.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green items for Terrarium?

I would get some live plants for in there. You can get something at a garden store or even a walmart type store that sells plants. They will love that. I actually put a ficus in with my gray tree frogs and that is a favorite spot. I would keep the substrate in, but you can put big river rocks in there and some leave litter if you want, that's what I did before I got some live moss. I would leave the background on there, if you put an orange slice in there, the crickets will come out eventually to eat, and your frog should snap it up fast then. Unless, of course, you feel it is a danger to the frogs.

Make sure you have branches in there, you can put a pothos plant in to climb up the branches and add some color, tree frogs like to climb so that is very important! What size tank do you have? What does it look like right now?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I would get some live plants for in there. You can get something at a garden store or even a walmart type store that sells plants. They will love that. I actually put a ficus in with my gray tree frogs and that is a favorite spot. I would keep the substrate in, but you can put big river rocks in there and some leave litter if you want, that's what I did before I got some live moss. I would leave the background on there, if you put an orange slice in there, the crickets will come out eventually to eat, and your frog should snap it up fast then. Unless, of course, you feel it is a danger to the frogs.

Make sure you have branches in there, you can put a pothos plant in to climb up the branches and add some color, tree frogs like to climb so that is very important! What size tank do you have? What does it look like right now?
    I have a nasty habit of killing plants always have =( and with the price of the bulbs for the terrarium I only use 1 low watt uva/uvb bulb and I dont think that enough light for the plants.

So far Frodo only likes to sit on the rock magnet up high and the vines... he ignores the plants and we have bought numerous different types. they seemed to just make more hideing spots for the crickets and Frodo wasnt getting them.

Frodo's terrarium is an Exo Terra 18x18x24 and I think there are pictures of it in Frodo's album on my profile.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I use a 50 watt blue daylight bulb and it works great for my plants. You just need to get some low light tropical plants. Also, it would help if you had a layer of hydro balls on the bottom for good drainage. Pothos are nearly impossible to kill, so that would be a great start.

Here is my viv for 4 gray tree frogs

I have had NO trouble with any of my plants so far. I do still have two false plants in there because my other plants are still growing in.

Also, for the safety of Frodo, you should keep Sam quarantined for AT LEAST 30 days before mixing them together. That way if Sam is carrying any parasites or fungal infections, you will know before infecting Frodo. Plus, from your other post, it sounds like Sam has some growing to do anyways.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Zoo Med and Exo-Terra both offer different plants for in a viv. There are naturalistic looking Bromeliads in different colors that should add some color and perches for your frogs.

Many of the online frog dealers have these to see including Josh's Frogs.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

9. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Id get some Pothos (Scindapsuspictus) - very easy to grow and pretty indestructible if you ask me (I have it growing just in just water in my tadpole setups and in substrate in vivs). They are a climber and have nice strong glossy leaves that your tree frogs will love.
    Also very easy to trim and propagate cuttings
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

11. This member thanks berksmike for this post:

Rae

I found online terrarium liner... it looks like a great reusable green subtrate substitute that Frodo wont be able to eat the way he gets mouthfuls of the subtrate now.

any opinions on this?
    http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/...rium-liner.htm

Thread Information