Thread: Question about feeding

kmcconch

Default Question about feeding

I know it says on the care sheet to feed daily, as much as he will eat for 15 minutes. But my young male African bullfrog can eat at least 30 3/4 of inch crickets, if not more, in that time frame. I'm scared he will become impacted or bloat. Is there a safer guideline, or is it hard for them to implode from stuffing there face for 15 minutes even if they eat 50 crickets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default Re: Question about feeding

if you provide proper heat they shouldn't get impacted. A lot of impaction problems are caused by a lack of heat.

Jace

I would also suggest swtiching up the diet. Try earthworms, grasshoppers, and roaches to give a high protein, low fat variety for him. My ABFs enjoy 50 crickets as a weekly treat, but the majority of their diet is earthworms that they literally stuff their faces with!!

kmcconch

Yeah he is an eating machine. My first one was female and she did not eat nearly as much as him. He is so aggressive it is unreal, and the same size as my female in about a months time. I feed him earthworms and crickets. I usually feed him 4 - 5 earthworms but that is because I'm scared of him getting hurt from eating too much. He could probably put down 7-10 if I let him.

Jace

Gherkin, my biggest male, can polish off 24 large earthworms in one sitting. Plus crickets and a gaint mealworm or two as desert. I worry less about the worms than about anything else, as they are soft and squishy and high in nutrition.

kmcconch

WHere do you get your worms from? There 5.99 at pet co for 12

Baelari

I use the DME Nightcrawlers from wal-mart. They're less than 5$ for 20 of them.

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

You can get a tub of 20 nightcrawlers at Wal-Mart for $3.50. If you don't have a Wal-Mart handy, I imagine you can find then at your nearest bait shop.
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Jace

I get mine from a place that sells live bait. I think...$3.99 for a package of 12. Surplus Herby's. Not sure if you have that store in the U.S. or not.

kmcconch

Yeah I have a walmart nearby, I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I also just ordered some roaches from theroachguy.com. I think I'm going to use crickets as a snack from now on. My bullies go through 250 crickets in less than a month, and the crickets are annoying, lol.

Kevin1

Trust me your going to go through a lot of whatever you feed them.
    My one ABF practically wiped out my dubia colony. My old colony numbered in the thousands.

69hemicuda

When you feed the worms do you put them in a dish? I was trying worms but they seemed to just burrow in the subrate. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

JeffX

Quote Originally Posted by 69hemicuda View Post
    When you feed the worms do you put them in a dish? I was trying worms but they seemed to just burrow in the subrate. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    I use feeding tongs and let my bullfrog grab them from them. Most of the time, they drop and he picks them up.

Wolfx

Quote Originally Posted by 69hemicuda View Post
    i put a flat rock, an drop the earthworms onto the rock, an just monitor them so they dont escape, Bully is usaly quick enough to get them before they get off. also i cut them in half, easier digestion.

Sublime

I know I'm kind of digging up a month old thread here, but I don't want to start another one to annoy people. My pixie is like 2.5 inches, I feed him every 2 days. I start with like 2-3 large night crawlers from walmart. Then I dust about 3-4 adult crickets with reptovitamin once a week, it has like small amounts of calcium and d3 with a lot of other vitamins. I throw like 5-7 crickets in there (That's including the dusted crickets) into his cage. He sits in his water dish for awhile after I feed him the night crawlers in there. Then while the crickets are moving along side his bowl or move onto the substrate he tries to jump at them and misses a lot eating some substrate. My dad figures he should probably do that anyways as he would do in the wild. Should I just keep the crickets in his cage because eventually he'll get out of his water dish and realize they're there. Is he getting enough food? He also tries to creep up slowly on the crickets walking slowly, but he hasn't had a high success rate. Tonight I watched him try to chase a dusted cricket and the cricket jumped into his water bowl and he did also finally slamming it down chasing it. He's very fun to watch. He seems healthy, he jumps, he ate on the first day I got him, he takes dumps almost daily in his water dish, his eyes are clear.

Thread Information