Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adspersus ?

Roidrage

Default Adspersus ?

I think this looks like an edulis but is being sold as adspersus, what do you guys thinks ?

Cheers // Stefan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default re: Adspersus ?

I think it's an Edulis too.

onedge30

Yes, I would agree. Looks like edulis.

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Yes, I would agree. Looks like edulis.

Dont buying that one either then, hard to get TRUE adspersus....

Daniel L

I don't think this is an edulis, don't get fulled by its edulis colors. but also not a full adspersus. Verry Intresting frog I should buy it. How big is she?

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
    I don't think this is an edulis, don't get fulled by its edulis colors. but also not a full adspersus. Verry Intresting frog I should buy it. How big is she?

It doesnt look exactly like the regular edulis, but i have one here that look very familiar this one also bought as adspersus - Posting som pics to refer to. Mine is somewhat smaller too so this once bigger, but pretty a like in colors and so on?

Any other opinion what it can be ? Its about 5 inches in length (10-11 centimeters). Looks like a male to.

Daniel L

Hi,

I send they pictures to a woman who is studing african bullfrogs in africa. She told me that the frog for sale is a colorfull femal P. Adspersus and the frog you have is a normal P. Edulis from the krugerpark area.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The problem with Pyxicephalus as a genus is that there is a lot of work left to be done on describing/separating properly some of the species that look like intergrades. The species you have the photos of has the same body type as a P. adspersus but the coloration more like something else. I've seen these in person. Whether it's true P. edulis or not is not easy to tell I'm afraid.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

I HAVE THE SAME THING CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT KIND OF FROG DO I HAVE ,IS IT A TANZANIA BULL FROG?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

To me that's a true edulis, according to Passmore and Caruthers.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

pyxieBob

Default Re: Adspersus ?

The frog for sale at the very top of the thread does have some similareties of a dwarf. Although it looks almost identical to my adspersus Booger at that age. He grew up to be enormous. Id bet it is adspersus. The dwarfs seem to have much more uniform spots to the pattern on them. The one at the bottem of the thread how ever puzzles me more. The dwarfs usually dont have their spots fade like his are. Adspersus do go through some interesting color changes tho.

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    The frog for sale at the very top of the thread does have some similareties of a dwarf. Although it looks almost identical to my adspersus Booger at that age. He grew up to be enormous. Id bet it is adspersus. The dwarfs seem to have much more uniform spots to the pattern on them. The one at the bottem of the thread how ever puzzles me more. The dwarfs usually dont have their spots fade like his are. Adspersus do go through some interesting color changes tho.

But What do you think of my frog not the one for sale? Could it be some mix ?

Cheers // Stefan

onedge30

The species is a mess, too many variation by location. Some, of course, are crosses, but know one has spent the time to completely identify the original populations.

Stefan, I have to say yours is closer to edulis. Why? Yellow throat and that it will never loose the back center stripe.

pyxieBob

What I think abt your frog is that it could very well be a mix of a type of dwarf and a giant. His overall shape is very much like a true giant as a juvenile. As well as the obvious 3 stripes rather than one single dorsal stripe. However the coloring, esp the premature yellowing of the underside and the color of the dorsal stripe are very dwarf like. So I guess its just a waiting game for you now. But all in all it shows factors of both. Hope this helps make things more clear. Keep posting pics as your frogger gets bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roidrage View Post
    But What do you think of my frog not the one for sale? Could it be some mix ?

Cheers // Stefan

pyxieBob

Here are some photos of some young true Adspersus you can use to kind of compare to yours. Remember every frog is different. Notice how Doofuss is already a very nice green and Webby still has some brownish gold. But her dorsal striping is still very green. Not tan what so ever. When compared to Doofuss, Webby almost looks dwarf. But "her" definite green tint and larg ridges and bumps and "her" head shape when viewed from the top makes it clear Webby is a true Adspersus. (i use the term "her" loosly..) Also as far as I know Dwarfs do not have any blue under their arms and back legs as babies. I could be wrong but im pretty sure they dont. I know that true Adspersus do.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

pyxieBob

Arrow Re: Adspersus ?

Onedge30 I agree 100%. the more these questionable looking frogs and different issues arise, it makes me want to make identifying all the different Pyxicephalus species my lifes work in their actual environment.

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    The species is a mess, too many variation by location. Some, of course, are crosses, but know one has spent the time to completely identify the original populations.

Stefan, I have to say yours is closer to edulis. Why? Yellow throat and that it will never loose the back center stripe.

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    Onedge30 I agree 100%. the more these questionable looking frogs and different issues arise, it makes me want to make identifying all the different Pyxicephalus species my lifes work in their actual environment.

Hey! I snapped some photos on him now and damn his growing hahaaha...But cant tell what he looks like doesnt think he looks either edulis or adspersus.

Thanks for replys! Cheers // Stefan

Daniel L

The frog you have is 100% true edulis from the Krugerpark in Africa. Males are about 12 cm and the females 10 cm. The males get brightgreen in meeting seson

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
    The frog you have is 100% true edulis from the Krugerpark in Africa. Males are about 12 cm and the females 10 cm. The males get brightgreen in meeting seson

Okey hehe cool to know exact location ! To damn they aint getting bigger then 12 cm i wanted a biig one hehe.

Thanks Regards // Stefan

BG

Hey Daniel if you see my album can you tell me what type of pixies do i have thanks .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information