Thread: 20g vertical pdf initial build - clay background

guppygal

Default 20g vertical pdf initial build - clay background

This is my first shot at a 20g vertical using a clay background with cork pieces. I'm thinking that the clay will allow different kinds of plants to gain a foothold. There will be plenty of bromeliads, of course.

As you can see, I'm using a false bottom because I LOVE my water features. We were able to get the water flowing down the ghost wood in a pleasing manner last night. We're hoping to have the tank finished by this weekend since it's a nice, long, 3 days off - yay!! I'll post a pix when it's finished. The occupants will either be my Cayo Nancy pumilio or a pair of Intermedius Imitators.

And then it's off to the next tank.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Grrrit

Default Re: 20g vertical pdf initial build - clay background

I like that a bunch! Where did you find a jumbo piece of ghost wood like that?
    Eggcrate is my favorite false bottom but its so aggravating getting it in a natural shape for polka and water features. :/ I did however find that if I take a sharpie marker and kindof draw out a shape and using wire snips I could do a little more natural water features.

I can't wait to see this planted!

guppygal

Thanks! I picked up the ghost wood from Cindy Dicken/Vivarium Concepts when she was in Houston for a Repticon event.

I worked on it all day yesterday and it's mostly planted with brom pups. I have a few more plants to put in, but I should be able to get a pix today.

I really like the way it turned out ~

bshmerlie

Looks great. One of the best things about clay...poof....its done. Inhabitants can go right in. What kind of clay did you use and did you mix anything in it? We would like your recipe please.. Can't wait for the final pic.

guppygal

Heheh - you're gonna 'dig' this - my clay recipe uses cat litter. It has to be the special kind without additives, but you can find it at Petsmart - Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Scoopable Litter. It's pure clay, no perfumes or deodorants. A little goes a loooong way, and you want to mix it up really well. My husband suggested using a paint stirring bit on a drill in a 5 gallon bucket. I'm too lazy - I put a little bit in a big ziplock back and mash it up with water while I watch tv. Do whatever works for you. Hmmm, I didn't even consider using a Oster and let it mix on its own - it just might work.

I've mixed up a few batches so far and for me, it's just trying to add enuf water. I keep making it too thick. Once it's thin enough, maybe the consistency of pancake batter, I add some peat moss, and/or green moss, some kind of organic stuff to thicken it back up a bit. You can get very creative at this point -

When you start your project, it's important to not let the clay dry too fast. I, personally, use a piece of eggcrate for support. I mash in the clay rather thickly, then press in my cork pieces. I do this inside the tank while its laying on its back. After that, I add some climbing plants like spike moss, then cover the tank to keep the humidity in and put a light over it. I mist it periodically to keep the clay from drying so quickly that it cracks. So far, it's working out nicely. You can use red art clay if you want, but I don't have access to a store that carries it. Besides, I like to do things 'outside' the box, so to speak. And I like the idea that it's a no brainer to get the plants to grow up the wall.

Now, this 20g is my first clay project, and I like what I see. It will be the test of time to see if it holds up. So far, so good....

7. This member thanks guppygal for this post:

Indyaquarist

Quote Originally Posted by guppygal View Post
    We're hoping to have the tank finished by this weekend since it's a nice, long, 3 days off -
    Feed me, feed me. At least an update shot?

guppygal

I think I have just what you need - a nice 20g vertical with a water feature and a little 'something' extra.

Check it out ~

There is one odd-looking pix that appears to have a white flower under the light. This is actually a solar-powered fan that would normally clip onto a ball cap to keep your face cool. I have it temporarily setup with a wooden dowel supported by magnets on each side of the tank. The solar panel is snug against the glass and the fan blows a very gentle breeze toward the door to keep the fogging down. The light bulb is a Sylvania micro-mini CFL Instant-on Daylight bulb, 6500k. This is the only bulb that I could find that works with solar power. The solar fan can be found on Amazon (Solar Powered Outdoor Hat Fan (2-Pack) for $10.

I currently have a lonely female Intermedius imitator in there. I'm hoping to find a mate for her soon.

I may add more broms, though the pups have a lot of growing to do. The tank is very quiet. It has a small pump that pushes the water up through a hole in the ghost wood that drains into the small pond. There were other places it drained as well, so I added a couple of bamboo troughs to catch and funnel the water to the pond.

We're still trying to get the door latch in place ~
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Beautiful work and great landscaping. I have avoided clay so far because of the risk of cracking. I have the materials though so perhaps I'll work up the courage to use it next time. Well done.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

guppygal

Thanks! It was very easy and a lot of fun. I figure that there's so much humidity in the tank that the risk of cracking is minimal.

There are a lot of recipes out there, so you'll probably want to experiment and see what works best for you. And then SHARE, okay? Cool !

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very nice, great job!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I've mixed up a few batches so far and for me, it's just trying to add enuf water. I keep making it too thick. Once it's thin enough, maybe the consistency of pancake batter, I add some peat moss, and/or green moss, some kind of organic stuff to thicken it back up a bit. You can get very creative at this point -[/FONT]

I found your recipe interesting in that all the other ones I have seen on the net are for a much stiffer mix. Did you just pour it onto the flat surface and let it harden? The one's I have used in my vivariums are much thicker and mixed with peat moss, coco fiber, sphagnum moss. It was applied stiff and would immediately hold on a vertical surface. If fact this was my test to see if the clay mix was correct. I would set the tank back up so the clay was vertical and give it a few minutes. If it held then I would lay it back down and let it set/rest for a few hours. I did use horizontal lines of foam on my 40 vert as additional support for the clay background which was applied all around the foam planter locations.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Indyaquarist

Thanks Guppygal! Looking great.

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    I found your recipe interesting in that all the other ones I have seen on the net are for a much stiffer mix. Did you just pour it onto the flat surface and let it harden? The one's I have used in my vivariums are much thicker and mixed with peat moss, coco fiber, sphagnum moss. It was applied stiff and would immediately hold on a vertical surface. If fact this was my test to see if the clay mix was correct. I would set the tank back up so the clay was vertical and give it a few minutes. If it held then I would lay it back down and let it set/rest for a few hours. I did use horizontal lines of foam on my 40 vert as additional support for the clay background which was applied all around the foam planter locations.

To be honest, my clay recipe is a lot like my cooking - a lil bit o' this, a dab o' that. I mix the clay to a consistency that I can actually work with (removing all the lumps), and then I bulk it back up again with peat moss or whatever organics I happen to have on hand. I use eggcrate on the back of the tank for support. I mash it on there, nice n thick, and then I'll press in pieces of cork so that the clay bulges up between the pieces. After that, I'll place some spike moss down, mist it real well, then cover the whole shebang with glass and/or plastic. I put a light over it to keep the humidity in and maybe the moss will take root. I try to let it dry slowly, but if it cracks, I just wet it again and it's good to go.

BTW, I use cat litter for the clay, though I've heard that red art clay works just as well -

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I'm using clay cat litter for my backgrounds. I have read that if you use too much organic material in the clay, as it breaks down leaving small holes it will destabilize. I have no experience with this since mine have only been up for two to three months.

I don't let my clay dry out. I mist the walls everyday to keep them moist and I have algae, moss and other stuff growing in the walls now.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

guppygal

IMO, this is more like the frogs' natural environment and the fact that the moss and other plants take to the clay so readily really rocks!

This is my first shot at it and it looks pretty good. I've had the clay in the tank for several months now. I just finished planting recently and things are taking off. I'm getting ready to start my 29g vertical tonight, if I'm lucky. I'm very tickled how quickly it all went together.

I'm also tickled that the solar fan works like a charm and keeps the glass clear - sweet!
    !

Grrrit

I can't wait to see! I've ben working on two 29's with rockwalls. They're slowly coming together

Thread Information