Thread: 150 gallon pdf display tank

guppygal

Default 150 gallon pdf display tank

This is the only decent photo I can get of our newly rebuilt 150g vivarium. For some reason, the lighting in my house refuses to cooperate and let me take photos that show the true beauty of this tank. It's my pride n joy.....

BTW, the water bottle is an old fruitfly culture that was almost ready to be discarded, but it still had some Hydei left in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: 150 gallon pdf display tank

Very nice. What kind of frogs are you keeping in there?

guppygal

Well, I consider this my 'wunzies' tank. I have two male Powderblues, one female Azureus, 2 green sips (sex unk), 1.2 Leucomelas. At one point, I had placed 2 female Cobalts in this tank, but they were overly aggressive to the other females and I had to remove them again. I watch this tank closely for two reasons - it's quite beautiful, and I'm very diligent in noticing changes in the frogs' behavior. My oldest frogs, Fred (Powderblue) and Bertha (Azureus) have been with me since the beginning, making them at least 8yrs old. The youngest are probably about a yr old.

I do not condone mixing species/morphs unless the hobbyist experienced and is fully aware of the consequences, those being dead frogs due to stress, and/or hybrid frogs, which are worthless. I've been very lucky that this group gets along well. After Stanton takes ownership of one of the Cobalts, I'll still have a 'wunzie', and she'll have to stay in her own tank, cuz she doesn't play well with others. If she only had a home.....

bshmerlie

Well, I'm sure you will sell her once it gets cooler. I know I've held off buying any frogs right now due to the heat. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks very nice!! Great job!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Well, I'm sure you will sell her once it gets cooler. I know I've held off buying any frogs right now due to the heat. I wouldn't want to risk it.
    Can't argue that - I've never wanted to see winter so bad as I do now. We haven't had any rain to speak of since February, thereabouts, and we are NOT used to this. The heat puts a screeching halt on anything outdoors ~

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    It looks very nice!! Great job!
    Thank you very much! It has a lot of growing in to do, plus some additional planting. The frogs are very fat and they appear very content. I have a few more photos I need to upload showing the pond in the Malaysian driftwood on the left side of the tank, and Fred's butt on the curly vine next to a large brom. It's funny warm/fuzzy - both Fred and Bertha are very comfortable around me....ribbit....

Grrrit

I really dig that tank! Big tanks always inspire me. I still can't decide what I like more. unleashing the creative beast in me and building tanks, or keeping the frogs that inhabit them. Its piety equal in the end

guppygal

This is the tank before the plants. We used two pieces of Malaysian driftwood for the water features. The one on the left has a natural pool area that drains into the pond between the two pieces of wood. The piece on the right has a river-like structure where the water runs thru. Unfortunately, the bromeliads hide the water flow, but the frogs dig it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

bshmerlie

Now, for the background....did you just silicone pieces of corkbark together?

guppygal

First, we laid the pieces down on the back of the tank to get a general idea of what fit where. BTW, the empty tank was laid down on its back in the livingroom while we worked on it.

Then, we picked up each piece of cork and place a dab of silicone on the contact points where the cork touched the glass and siliconed them in place. Next, we filled in the holes with black Great Stuff and covered it with dry peat while it was still curing. You can see some of the black spots that didn't get covered and I think that those were the places that we missed the first time around. We were careful not to put too much GS between the cork and the glass because of the expansion. Black Great Stuff is used for ponds and it's a little more expensive than the regular stuff, but the regular GS would work just fine.

I had planned on putting a vine in to start covering the background, but I think I'll leave it as is for now. I may add some small broms later on -

In the meantime, we're finishing the 20g today. The waterworks look super and I'll post pix when it's done.

Thread Information