Thread: Help with my White's Tree Frogs :(

brnbear

Default Help with my White's Tree Frogs :(

Okay I know that I have been posting a lot about the problems with my White's lately...sorry...
    But...my one that had the eye problem died today. I came home and was going to give the eye a look over and found him dead under a log. I am not sure what to do as this is the 3rd dead White this month (one died that I have had since September...was a fungal infection earlier this month, one was a new frog that I had for a week, and this one I had since October). I now have one froggie left, she has been here for a week and she seems to be doing really fine. My tank is a 20 gallon. I have several plants (2 real, and many fake vines and one really big fake leaf), and a water bowl. I mist daily and the humidity remains at around 75. The temperature remains at a constant 72. I use eco dirt. I feed them two crickets each daily. I feed them the crickets in the tank...I have heard of people feeding them crickets in a different container...is that something that I should consider? Does anyone have any advice for me... I am running out of places in my backyard to bury my White's Tree Frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with my White's Tree Frogs :(

Sounds like an infection is being passed around. I would get your tank completely sterilized, boiling, bleaching, the works. I would also get this last frog to the vet the second you see anything wrong.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

brnbear

I did sterilize everything and replaced everything that couldn't be sterilized about...a week ago. I am just going to wait it out and just keep this one frog for now and just see what happens. If it gets sick I just am going to be done with frogs because over the past month I have spent so much more than I really bargained for and I am just about to go to college and I am tight on money as it is It really makes me sad

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Were you quarantining the new frogs for 30-60 days before introducing them to the new tank? I would give up for a while too if I were you. I'm sorry, I can't imagine the frustration.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Brandon,
    Sorry to hear of all your loses. So sad.

Yes, definitely something recent went on to cause this. Infection, something getting into tank to poison, hard to say.

I would definately clean that viv out. Also, post a pic, someone might see something out of the ordinary.

A 20 gallon is pretty small for 4 Litoria caerulea since they do tend to get large. They also need height so setting up a viv with more height than floor space is recommended.

• Has anything changed with the water source provided?.
    • Were all plants been rinsed and free of possible fertilizer? ( a slow killer when absorbed by the frogs)
    • When the first frog passed, was it separated from the others once you learned it was becoming ill?

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

brnbear

I kept them separate for about two weeks. I guess I should have done longer...but the new frogs seemed like they were doing really well and I thought it would be okay. I feel like the first frog was a fungal infection...I am almost positive of it because of the spots that were on it. Then I cleaned out the whole tank and etc etc. The other frog that I had housed with it for months seemed fine. I bought a new frog and kept it in a separate tank. It wouldn't eat any crickets and died 8 days later. I then bought another new frog, kept it separate for 15 days and it seemed completely fine. So then I had it move in with my other frog that I have had for several months. The other day the older frog ate a cricket and got eco dirt all over him and was having trouble getting it off. I think it affected his eye, and then I am not sure really what happened from there. His behavior got really off and bizarre. So...I guess my question is...do you think that I should try to feed my frog in a separate container...like take the frog out of the tank and put it in my critter keeper and feed it two crickets...this way I know it is eating and isn't getting any dirt in its system?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't since it creates stress.

Usually these frogs get awfully dirty so a little dirt shouldn't be a problem for them.
    Your frogs also shed routinely and when dirty are not enjoying the mix of skin and Eco Earth but should have no effect as they digest and pass it. Have you watched your frogs shed, its not a pretty sight and occurs often.

You may have introduced something when introducing the new frog, but it is hard so say since we find that some frogs just pass for no good reason after being fine for a long time.
    When you clean the tank, what do you use and are the frogs removed until the cleaner airs out?
    Is your water treated with a chlorine remover?

brnbear

I clean the tank with a bleach-water solution, and I let it air out until i don't smell the bleach anymore. The water is treated with a reptile/amphibian chlorine remover/ purifier that I buy at petco. I am also worried that my frogs aren't able to find the crickets in the tank because there are so many vine like plants and stuff that I always find tons of dead crickets when I clean the tank which makes me think that maybe the frogs aren't getting enough to eat?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Its possible but they are good hunters and super patient at waiting out a cricket.

You need to make sure you rinse the chlorine based cleaner extra well. Although the smell is gone, the chemical is going to stick around a bit.

I clean the glass with Wipe Out and then rinse with a hot water a few times.
    In a good running viv, you should only have to clean the glass and spot clean waste and dead crickets.

Thread Information