Thread: Update and more toad questions...

nicodimus22

Default Update and more toad questions...

Hey folks. 2 out of my 3 toads seem to prefer burying themselves in substrate (coco fiber) rather than using a hide, so I have taken out the big bark hide and replaced it with a smaller hide that the one not-so-burrowing toad seems to like. My question about the burrowing has to do with feeding. Since all toads but one are underground, how should I handle feeding them? The food (right now either ants or fruit flies) will get out of the cage if it's not eaten promptly, since the lid is a screen. Ideally, should I:

A) dump the food in and hope they come running from their burrows
    B) gently dig them up so they are all above ground when I put the food in
    C) put them in a separate container for feeding time so they get conditioned to that
    D) other

Also, while I know these are mostly "look don't touch" pets, I was wondering how much handling is harmful. Is it mostly the salt and oil on our skin that hurts them, or is it more just the stress of being handled by large creatures they might see as predators? It seems like my toads are fairly used to me now. They don't cringe or seek cover if I walk by, and they don't pee on me when I pick them up. I don't handle them daily, but I was just curious how often you toad owners out there handle your toads, and how much handling is too much? It seems like occasional handling might make them tamer and get them used to it, right?

Also wanted to mention that I got the Repashy ICB+ yesterday, and gave them some fruit flies covered in it. Has anyone else noticed the wonderful sweet banana-like smell that the stuff has? Thanks for any feedback.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greg M

Default Re: Update and more toad questions...

I find that hungry toads will come out and look around for food, so it is usually not necessary to dig them up. I wash my hands thoroughly, pick my guys up and feed them in a separate feeding cage with no substrate. I use this approach because I can monitor individual eating patterns, ensure that everybody is eating enough, not get supplement all over the cages, and avoid any impaction risk. They are very used to the routine and it does not seem to bother them in the least - in fact, they look up and eagerly hop around, trying to get out when they are really hungry. The use of a separate feeding cage is not accepted by all keepers - the notion being that it stresses the frog/toad. My feeling is that this depends on the species and individual. Some frog species, in particular, are very nervous and are best left alone (and perhaps should not be pets at all). All of my frogs and toads are species with relaxed personalities and are quite used to being moved around. They don't duck and hide or jump when I enter the room or open their cages. My belief is that most animals will eventually acclimate to people if they see them regularly and associate them with food. I am not advocating treating frogs/toads like cats or dogs, obviously...

nicodimus22

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    I find that hungry toads will come out and look around for food, so it is usually not necessary to dig them up. I wash my hands thoroughly, pick my guys up and feed them in a separate feeding cage with no substrate. I use this approach because I can monitor individual eating patterns, ensure that everybody is eating enough, not get supplement all over the cages, and avoid any impaction risk. They are very used to the routine and it does not seem to bother them in the least - in fact, they look up and eagerly hop around, trying to get out when they are really hungry. The use of a separate feeding cage is not accepted by all keepers - the notion being that it stresses the frog/toad. My feeling is that this depends on the species and individual. Some frog species, in particular, are very nervous and are best left alone (and perhaps should not be pets at all). All of my frogs and toads are species with relaxed personalities and are quite used to being moved around. They don't duck and hide or jump when I enter the room or open their cages. My belief is that most animals will eventually acclimate to people if they see them regularly and associate them with food. I am not advocating treating frogs/toads like cats or dogs, obviously...
    Feeding them in a different container is an interesting idea. I have seen people do it in youtube videos (they used a large plastic storage container) but I didn't know if it was just done for the video, or as a routine thing. I just started using the Repashy insect supplement powder, and it definitely makes a bit of a mess in the aquarium. I use the coco fiber substrate, so I'm not overly worried about impaction from it, but I see the benefit you're referring to there. It is also a good way to make sure they're all eating enough. Right now, one of my toads is smaller than the other two, and I don't know if it's because that one isn't eating as much, or if that is simply because one is a male, and the two fatter toads are females. I may try this out...do you think I should just go out and buy a Rubbermaid storage container or something like that for feeding?

I tend to agree with you that in general, many animals will get used to people to a degree, especially when it comes to food. Do you wash your hands with tap water or something else? I have been rinsing my hands off with spring water before handling, just to be sure I'm not getting any chlorine on them. This may be overkill/paranoid on my part, but I'm trying to play it safe until I know better what I'm doing. Thanks for your input.

Lacibeth

My background is from the nature center side of things so I've always fed animals in separate containers--usually appropriate sized critter keepers. Of course, the animals we keep are local species that acclimate to people and regular handling. My guy at home H. chrysoscelis is fed in a small critter keeper mostly because it's habit.

Curb71

Quote Originally Posted by nicodimus22 View Post
    Feeding them in a different container is an interesting idea. I have seen people do it in youtube videos (they used a large plastic storage container) but I didn't know if it was just done for the video, or as a routine thing. I just started using the Repashy insect supplement powder, and it definitely makes a bit of a mess in the aquarium. I use the coco fiber substrate, so I'm not overly worried about impaction from it, but I see the benefit you're referring to there. It is also a good way to make sure they're all eating enough. Right now, one of my toads is smaller than the other two, and I don't know if it's because that one isn't eating as much, or if that is simply because one is a male, and the two fatter toads are females. I may try this out...do you think I should just go out and buy a Rubbermaid storage container or something like that for feeding?

I tend to agree with you that in general, many animals will get used to people to a degree, especially when it comes to food. Do you wash your hands with tap water or something else? I have been rinsing my hands off with spring water before handling, just to be sure I'm not getting any chlorine on them. This may be overkill/paranoid on my part, but I'm trying to play it safe until I know better what I'm doing. Thanks for your input.
    If you are going to use a separate container I would spend the extra few bucks on a real critter keeper just cause of a bad experience I had. when I brought a bunch of tadpoles back from the mountains months ago they all died within hours and the only reason I could figure out was because I used a brand new never used 5 gallon bucket and I think the plastics from the bucket had chemicals that must have poisoned them.

Iratus ranunculus

No, it was not the bucket. Ranids are the only tadpoles in the US that are not so fragile as to die in transit. Bufonids and Hylids are really sensitive to all sorts of stressors, including road bumps, that ranids are not bothered by. If ranids, it could have been bucket poisoning, pH Shock, Temp Shock... but those would need to be severe.

nicodimus22

Quote Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
    If you are going to use a separate container I would spend the extra few bucks on a real critter keeper just cause of a bad experience I had. when I brought a bunch of tadpoles back from the mountains months ago they all died within hours and the only reason I could figure out was because I used a brand new never used 5 gallon bucket and I think the plastics from the bucket had chemicals that must have poisoned them.
    Hmmm...while I certainly don't want that to happen, I had a reason in my mind for planning to buy an opaque feeding container rather than a clear one. I have noticed that my toads REALLY don't understand clear glass/plastic. They will keep trying to walk through it for a long time when other animals would "figure out" that they couldn't go any farther and turn around. I reasoned it would be less confusing for them at feeding time to be in a solid container, and that their food might also be easier to see on a solid material rather than a clear one.

Anyone else notice this behavior in their toads? Do you have any other thoughts on whether a clear/solid container would be better to buy for feeding purposes before I go grab one? Any types to avoid due to toxicity? Thanks.

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by nicodimus22 View Post
    Hmmm...while I certainly don't want that to happen, I had a reason in my mind for planning to buy an opaque feeding container rather than a clear one. I have noticed that my toads REALLY don't understand clear glass/plastic. They will keep trying to walk through it for a long time when other animals would "figure out" that they couldn't go any farther and turn around. I reasoned it would be less confusing for them at feeding time to be in a solid container, and that their food might also be easier to see on a solid material rather than a clear one.

Anyone else notice this behavior in their toads? Do you have any other thoughts on whether a clear/solid container would be better to buy for feeding purposes before I go grab one? Any types to avoid due to toxicity? Thanks.
    For our toad that doesn't get the concept of glass (and I really don't blame him) we do a quick wrap of newsprint around the critter keeper we feed him in.

Thread Information