Thread: Very concerned

elanza528

Default Very concerned

I have two FBTs one bright green of the Oriental variety and one dark brown.

Recently, i noticed that the dark brown toad was swimming only using one of his hind legs, upon closer examination i noticed that a piece of his left hind leg is missing! The leg looks raw, pinkish in color with a small white portion which i suspect is his leg bone/cartilage whatever.

When i saw it, i freaked out, was convinced that the wound was caused by some sort of aggression between the two toads, i bought a new tank and now have the brown toad isolated from the other. He seems to be using his leg a little more, but it still looks pretty nasty.

The toads did not appear to be hostile to eachother in the past, but i didn't want to take any chances. Maybe this is just an infection, not caused by violence between the two?

Other than keeping him well fed and comfortable in his new living arrangement, what should i do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Very concerned

Its highly unlikely that its from hostility between the toads. These toads do well in group settings all the time. I suppose anythings possible but it is more likely caused by getting caught on something in his environment. Sometimes they can get a limb cuaght in the lid or the door to the enclosure and you maybe didn't notice it at the time.

Fingerlink

Default Re: Very concerned

They can get aggressive towards each other (especially if they are both males).
    One of my Firebelly's - Bee O' Plenty - killed his first tank partner after I bought them, and he likes to pick on Fingerlink who has been his tank partner for over six years!

As for the wounded leg, keep his tank clean and make sure he doesn't bleed too death.

If he keeps bleeding, take him to the vet.

Thread Information