Thread: New Red Eyed Owner in Need of Advice!

Trecko

Default New Red Eyed Owner in Need of Advice!

Hi I just recently bought my Red Eyed at a reptile expo on Saturday. She seems to do fine in the enclosure I have her in, however she has yet to eat. I understand that these animals are nocturnal, but I'm getting pretty worried because every time I wake up to check on the crickets I'm feeding her (powered with D3,) they're still in the cage and she hasn't eaten them. I take them out everyday and retry at night time. Should I feed her in a separate enclosure? Should I remove the bedding and put in paper towels? Maybe she has too many objects in the cage, or shes just not fully adjusted to her home? And how often should I be feeding her once she does start to eat? PLEASE HELP ME OUT

Baelari

Default Re: New Red Eyed Owner in Need of Advice!

She could be stressed from the move. Try covering 3 sides of the tank for a few days. Make sure the crickets are small enough to fit in the space between her eyes. Also what are the humidity and temperature at?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You need to let the frogs settle in. You must also provide proper housing.... humidity around 60 percent in the day will be fine, temps from 68 degrees at night and upward to 80 degrees in the daytime. Humidity will usually go up at night once the lights go out.
    Post a pic of the enclosure as Baelari stated.

You need to have plenty of climbing area... such as leaves, vines, branches and so on. These frogs will rarely be found standing on the substrate.
    For and examples of setups, check out the vivarium construction threads, members photo albums, and use your imagination.

Also read the care sheet.

I recommend you also place the tank/enclosure in a quiet area and cover three sides for a week or longer... some will even go four weeks like this.

Since they are new to their surroundings, it will take some time for them to settle in and sometimes a few weeks before you start seeing crickets disappear. I would just put the crickets in a small bowl and leave it over night.

Run lights on a normal day and night cycle and no night lighting.

Your frogs will slowly get accustomed to you, the sounds they hear around them, and the visits you make to spot clean and change water.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

bshmerlie

Just to reiterate the lighting issue. Please make sure your frog has complete darkness at night. Often times they will not have a normal sleep pattern if there is still a light somewhere on in the room.

Trecko

The temp in the viv is around 80 degrees, I mist around three times daily to maintain humidity, I think its around 75 percent. How could I get it down to 60 ??? I'll post a pic up in a sec, I think she ate today but now she looks bloated. She ate about 2 crickets last night but I just want to make sure shes not bloated. I switched my substrate to paper towels from coconut substrate which looked like it was growing white mold????

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You do not need to lower the humidity to 60%, if it's about 75. Tony just said that 60% is fine, but is not bad for the frogs in anyway if you have about 75%. Like others said before me, make sure you have alot of plants, vines and branches, both for climbling and hiding. Red eyes will almost never be on the ground, which means if you don't have lot of climbing space, you restritc their effecient terrariun size greatly, and thereby adding more stress.
    With that said: The problem is definely NOT that there are to many objects.

If you want some tips on good RETF-terrariums, check out the "What does your tank look like"-topic, as well as Cheris photo album.

Best of luck with your new frogs!

Tony

As Martin said, 75% humidity is not necessarily bad. I always advise people to throw away their hygrometers, they are usually inaccurate to start with and will cause you (and the frogs) more stress than it is worth messing around trying to hit a number on the dial. I have kept red eyes at humidity levels ranging from 30% to nearly 100% depending on the season, setup of the particular viv, and conditions in the frog room. The key is good ventilation, except for very limited periods during breeding you should never cover the screen section of the top. As long as they have a water dish available to soak in at night they will be just fine, they are exposed to very dry conditions at some times in nature and have evolved to conserve water much better than we think they do.

Trecko

I have noticed that my frog feels a little bloated and she feels a little airy in the stomach. What could be wrong? Also my friend breeds roaches for her bearded dragon so she gave me some nymphs for my tree frog. I'm going to see if she eats those tonight. How often should they eat?

Thread Information