Thread: Gray Tree Frogs?

Default Gray Tree Frogs?

There seems to be alot of love for gray tree frogs on the forum as of late and am pretty surprized. Not to say that grays aren't neat creatures, because they are, but they are pretty abundant creatures to be so sought after so much. Maybe it is just where I live because I hear them and see them almost everynight here in North Carolina. Maybe I should start breeding and selling them...Who knows.

EDIT: There is even a cow watering barrel that has probabaly over 100 gray tads swimming inside as we speak just right beside my house. They now have their legs and will soon be froglets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frogs?

Here in Wisconsin, it is illegal to sell them, it is also illegal to own more than 5. I searched for them on my own but found none. There are too many bullfrogs in my area I think, and they snatch them up. I heard one calling once, but it was high in a tree and that was the only sign of them in my area. Eventually I got 3 more for free because of an ad on craigslist.

They are beautiful frogs, I really enjoy having them as pets.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wanted to add that I feel the same way about American Toads. I don't know why so many people would want them as pets, I see them everywhere I turn in my yard!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I wanted to add that I feel the same way about American Toads. I don't know why so many people would want them as pets, I see them everywhere I turn in my yard!
    Frog preference may just depend on the location one is at. If a frog is abundant one wants what he or she cna't easily obtain. For instance, green tree frogs have just recently expanded their territory to the piedmont area of NC and I now have four of them in one tank as a result. They are new to me and I love them. However, grays have been here ever since I can remember and in massive numbers.

Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I feel exactly the same about American toads, lol. In fact, for the last 3 years, dozens of them have deposited thousands of eggs in my father's pool. When they morph and he finally has to mow the lawn, it looks like a plague, haha. We could hear Gray Tree Frogs and Spring Peepers nearby, but they never came. This year, however, there were 4 or 5 Grays that came poolside, but I never saw any females, eggs, or tadpoles despite my daily searching. When I lived out in the boonies the sounds of frogs were deafening, and we always found the little guys stuck to the window. Never here in the city, though, so I was thrilled when I got to watch them call.

I was actually visiting Dad and collecting a few toad tadpoles with my son when I happened to net a few newly hatched tadpoles that looked very very different from the toad tads....and now I have froglets!

Thread Information