Thread: I want a Dumpy... tree frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default I want a Dumpy... tree frog

So Speedie and the Big Guy are great... love to watch them... but holding them is another thing... the Big Guy cant hide... so nabbing him is easy... but holding onto him is another thing. I don't think they like it... but as a Grown Up with a little kid inside of me I want to hold them. You know how that goes... so yesterday I was getting more crickets for the Bullfrogs at petsmart... and the lady was cleaning the Dumpy Tree Frog cage... of which there were two inside... wow... I washed my hands and she let me hold one... it was nice... did not try to run away... and they are sort of cute... so here is my question...

I want to go back and get the pair of Dumpys... does it matter if they are boy and girl... do you need to buy two or will one be happy... will a 20 gallon tank work until I can build them one... I watched both of them eat... and they looked health... any think I want to look for? are they as easy as peat moss, large dish of water, mister, gut loaded crickets, and lots of handling?

So they don't mind you holding them, with clean hands of course... I love the look of the pair in the photo on the first page. the ones at petsmart were brown.. the lady said they turn green but there cage is dark... is there a way to tell boy from girl... thanks for the help... I want to get the two I saw last night...

Am I now an adict... or do you have to have more frogs... will this leed to more tanks... more frogs down the line...

thanks... Dave

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I want a Dumpy... tree frog

One will definitely be happy but if you get two make sure ones not a lot larger then the other. Yeah i believe he will be happy in there for a time i would recommend getting some fake or live plants. The main problem is humidity do you have experience with keeping pets at high humidity?

Nationality
    [United States]

no I have never had a pet that needed humidity... but dont they make a mister that is automatic?

Nationality
    [United States]

yes but they can be expensive. An easy way is to cover a portion of the top with some thing like glass and use a false bottom. FrogForum.net - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog Care Has a portion of it about false bottoms. Another alternative to a mister is a fogger.

maneeta

I got my tree frogs for the same reason ^^ (I love my nemo fish as well, but they're not that cuddly.) but one doesn't like me holding her as much as I do, so I leave her alone. of course, you shouldn't handle them too often... (but no one says what "often" means.)

you can keep a single frog without any problem as tom said but they're said to be social, so the more the merrier... and probably you'll get yourself a second one very quickly anyway because they are so cute. (I've had two in the beginning but they turned into three very quickly.)

I have no trouble keeping up humidity. I spray few times a day (by hand) and It's around 50 to 60% during daytime, little more at night... (dunno if it's cause I have plants in it..?) some people might say that's too less, but there are as much opinions about it as there are people... some say you need almost 100% at night, 90% daytime, others say white's don't like too much humidity 50 to 60 is great and our local amph/rept-pet store has slightly less than I do. (the store has to do it more or less correctly, since we have very strong animal rights here. example: you are only allowed live feeding your snake if it doesn't eat frozen mice...)

tank size: no idea. in the US you seem to have waay different opinions about that. here it's stated by law that your tank has to be at least 2 feet high, 1.5 ft wide, 1.5 ft deep if you want to keep on or two white's, but people in forums usually find that way too small. I've got a 70 gallon tank for three and there are lots of people here who'd kill me for doing that - some find that waaaay to small even for two.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmm also how big are the ones at the store?

Kurt

Humidity isn't really an issue with this species. Like frogs of the genus Phyllomedusa, White's treefrogs produce a waxy substance that they rub on their skin to prevent dessication. Litoria caerulea is found in many kinds of habitats throughout most of Australia and New Guinea, so they can deal with a wide range of enviromental elements such as humidity. Frankly, its one of the thnigs that makes them such a hardy species and such a good beginner's frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ohh. I didn't know that about the humidity.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
    do you need to buy two or will one be happy... will a 20 gallon tank work until I can build them one... I are they as easy as peat moss, large dish of water, mister, gut loaded crickets, and lots of handling?

So they don't mind you holding them, with clean hands of course... I love the look of the pair in the photo on the first page. the ones at petsmart were brown.. the lady said they turn green but there cage is dark... is there a way to tell boy from girl... thanks for the help... I want to get the two I saw last night...

Dave
    Frogs aren't generally social, so they won't care if the other is with them, but they will interact from time to time and may sit on each other. If you grab a tree frog caresheet at Petco, it will state that they are social.

I currently have 2 in a 20 gallon tall tank. It's too small for both of them. The general rule is 20 gal. for one and an additional 10 gal. for each addition.

They need to climb, so make sure they have perches up high in the tank.

They always seem to be brown at the stores, but will change color with a new background. Light background = lighter color. Though they can sometimes change colors for no apparent reason.

Nationality
    [United States]

yup they do seem to change color. Mine was originally reddish brown and now he is an awesome teal.

Thread Information