Thread: Three headed frog

nickc

Default Three headed frog

Im not sure if this has ever been posted on this forum before but anyways heres a strange video i found while browsing youtube

YouTube - ‪Rana mutante con tres cabezas‬‏

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Three headed frog

It isn't a "three headed frog", it is two males in amplexus with the same female.

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    It isn't a "three headed frog", it is two males in amplexus with the same female.
    I think it is 3 headed. If you look at the neck when he's holding it the neck skin on the left head is joined to neck of the centre head.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    I think it is 3 headed. If you look at the neck when he's holding it the neck skin on the left head is joined to neck of the centre head.

No it isn't. First off you can see the males kicking at one another when they are on the ground trying to dislodge each other from the females back, then you can see the males puffing out their throats and giving release calls when being handled, and lastly you can see the males feet under the belly of the female. Not to mention such a severe case of malformation could never make it to adulthood. Extra limbs, malformed limbs, or missing one eye are about the most severe deformation frogs will sometimes manage to survive with. Three bodies stuck together in that manner would never make it. You can see how hard it is for the smaller female to even move with two large males on her back. Trust me on this one. There isn't a chance in the world that the whole mass is "one deformed frog". It is typical breeding behavior. Sometimes even more males than that will ball up on one female and occasionally they can weight down a female so much she drowns. If you want to see more examples of the same kind of behavior just search google images for "frog breeding ball" or something like that.

wesleybrouwer

I have to go with Seth, altough some weird deformations occur.

http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php...id=&redirect=1

Question is, is every picture real, since we got people that are masters in photoshop.

http://nilskidoo.blogspot.com/2007_0...330ea746056f2e

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Seth's right - not a 3 headed frog, just a mating ball.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information