Thread: Common frog

charizard988

Talking Common frog

Is it alright to go and pull a fern out of the ground (from the root) put it in potting soil 4 1 week and then into my terrarium.do you know any cheap plant they like and can i use compost in my terrarium thank you for replies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clintosaurus rex

Default Re: Common frog

Im not so sure that is a good idea. It probably won't do well. If I was you, I would look for some plants for terrarium, and make your own soil out of coconut fiber and sphagnum moss. The whole recipe is on reptile channel, used for poison dart frogs. Be careful of what you buy.

Personally I think it would be fine if you wash the roots completely then plant it in organic compost/soil it will be fine. If it's for a common frog then they will be used to anything in your garden. You can also buy plants from the shop and wash the roots completely. Unless it's poisonous any plant from the garden should be fine for your frog. Just pull it up and wash the roots off.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you're talking about a wild fern, you may find there is a law against that. It's worth checking - try the English Nature web site or check with DEFRA. In any case, wild ferns rarely prosper in frog terrariums due to light, humidity, and temperature requirements.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

charizard988

thanks you for replies i think i will get organic compost. can you give me few surgestion on what the common forg likes (plants) and is it alright if i 1 week before my tads turn into froglets throw about 20 woddlice in there so they breed a bit and the frogs can hunt for them? and for a common frog is a 50 liter tank ok for them (2) this should be there acomadation for about 4-5 moths

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Common frogs make terrible terrarium inhabitants. They're much to nervous and prone to injury from hopping into the glass (a 50 L aquarium is tiny). Trust me, I've tried. You'd be better off with a common toad.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

charizard988

thank how long will 20-40 woodlice last common toads. and what plants do there like

I thought I'd let you know that woodlice only breed once a year so it won't be worth putting in 20 because they will be gone in a few days.

Forgot to put it in but woodlice are high in calcium so are a good source of food. If you do feed them to anything it will be worth capturing and containing hundreds.

charizard988

thank you i finaly got my frogs common frog i have got a large container about 60-70liters that they are in i feed them 10 woddlice they had about 3-4 each and theres a few floating around as soon as my camra works i will post a pic one more queation beacuse at the mom the frog are in a container with no plants but theres a few creves for them to hide in but the water is about 2 and n most places 3 inches of water so does anyone know of any plants that will be happy in there (aquatic plants)and a ok (land plant ) to put in there

charizard988

Quote Originally Posted by charizard988 View Post
    thank you i finaly got my frogs common frog i have got a large container about 60-70liters that they are in i feed them 10 woddlice they had about 3-4 each and theres a few floating around as soon as my camra works i will post a pic one more queation beacuse at the mom the frog are in a container with no plants but theres a few creves for them to hide in but the water is about 2 and n most places 3 inches of water so does anyone know of any plants that will be happy in there (aquatic plants)and a ok (land plant ) to put in there
    i mean leparade frogs im so uset to talking about common frogs but i have leopard frogs

Thread Information