Thread: Best hides for toads?

nicodimus22

Default Best hides for toads?

Hey gang. I am setting up the new (10-gallon) home for my Fowler toads, and am trying to decide what to use for hides. So far, I have coco fiber for substrate with some flat rocks on top, and a kidney-shaped shallow water dish.

In their current home (a half-gallon betta tank) I just prop up a small piece of bark against the side of the aquarium, and it makes a lean-to type of fort. Before long, that won't be big enough. Should I go looking for a bigger piece of bark for the new tank, or would I be better off getting something like a plastic hamster-sized hide or some upside-down flowerpots with a door broken out of each? I like the natural look of the bark, but it's not about me, it's about what the toads would like best. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greg M

Default Re: Best hides for toads?

Honestly, my Woodhouse's toads (very closely related species) never used any of the hides I provided. I've tried bark lean-tos, fake hollow log sections, you-name it, and they just don't seem to use them. Mine seem to just like digging into the substrate, leaving just their heads exposed, or completely burying themselves, if it's winter. I ended up removing most of the hides because they got in the way of digging, except for a fake ivy, which they seem to like to perch on. Probably if they are new captives, covering three sides of the cage with paper or whatnot is a good idea - makes them feel more secure. If you find a hide that works, please let me know, but I think that digging satisfies them and the cage decoration is more for us...

4. This member thanks Greg M for this post:

nicodimus22

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Honestly, my Woodhouse's toads (very closely related species) never used any of the hides I provided. I've tried bark lean-tos, fake hollow log sections, you-name it, and they just don't seem to use them. Mine seem to just like digging into the substrate, leaving just their heads exposed, or completely burying themselves, if it's winter. I ended up removing most of the hides because they got in the way of digging, except for a fake ivy, which they seem to like to perch on. Probably if they are new captives, covering three sides of the cage with paper or whatnot is a good idea - makes them feel more secure. If you find a hide that works, please let me know, but I think that digging satisfies them and the cage decoration is more for us...
    I have noticed that Woodhouse's look almost identical to Fowler's in some pictures here. So far, mine do use the bark hide occasionally, but seem comfortable out in the open and even perched on top of the bark, as they are in my avatar. Maybe I'm assuming that they behave like bufo americanus, when they are actually less reclusive. They have been with me for about 3 weeks, and they don't seem to cringe when I walk by any more. I'm hoping they are beginning to associate me with food! They really are still babies, not even an inch long yet.

I just got back from a hike, and while out there, I found a great piece of bark that feels sturdy and is much larger. I'm boiling it now, and then I'm going to stick it in the oven for a while to eliminate any possible nasties on it. If they end up not using it, I can always take it out. Keep the ideas coming though!

Wormwood

I'd have to agree. My toads much perfer burying themselves completly in substrate rather then using any hides. All those half logs go unused.

What I find works best is to lay a flat piece of cork wood down and they tend to like to bury under something flat against the substrate.

I also keep my toad's substrate rather dry so they come out and use the water dish, move around and get some activity in.

7. This member thanks Wormwood for this post:

Thread Information