Thread: Unsure of the problem

Kaddock

Default Unsure of the problem

So... A while back I posted about my sick and swolen tree frogs http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...html#post47823 ,

The surviving frog has been doing great for some time... The other day I put him in his "kennel" whilst I cleaned his cage up a bit. I had some water in there, but I wonder if it was too much now. He had plenty of leaves and a rock to climb out of the water on, but he didn't. When I place him back in the cage, he was very limp and wouldn't do much. He moved around the next day a bit, and has since found a place to sit and hasn't moved in a couple of days. He keeps his eye lids shut and doesn't move much if disturbed. I scooped him up a little bit to see what he could do, and he just kind of sat up, then, still on all fours, closed his eyes again like I wasn't poking him! Usually he's pretty skittish. He is now very skinny and hasn't been eating. What should I do???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Unsure of the problem

The frog has been subjected to some form of stress. It could be as simple as keeping him too cool or too warm for a long time. In any case, frogs that go off food invariably die, and it can be very slow. Your only recourse at this point is to take him to a vet ASAP.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I had a similar issue a little while back with my White's Tree Frogs. One of them stopped eating and passed away, the vet told me that it was a parasite but I had trouble treating it with the medicine he gave me and eventually the frog just died. I was afraid for a while that the other frog in the same tank was sick as well, but he began eating again shortly after the other passed and it now active and croaking as usual.

I would take the frog to a vet if you can, sounds like whatever illness your first frog had has passed onto the other. Good luck, I hope the little guy pulls through.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Kaddock

Oh my goodness! I wonder why I even have a thermometer probe in there if I'm not looking at it! 76.6F! That's a no go... Time to change the lighting situation. I had a strong one on for the plants, not for heat! Most of the year it's not that hot from the light.

Well, I'll change the setup and see if he becomes less lackadaisical. I would take him to the vet, but last time I just spent $80 for a wishy washy explanation and a tiny bottle of baytril. I later found one three times the size for much, much less of course. And then the female died anyway.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Good luck Kaddock, Let us know how he is doing.

Kaddock

:-\

Unless any of ya'll are necromancers, I no longer have anything to post here...

Baelari

So sorry your little frog didn't make it.

Also, now I'm going to have nightmares about zombie frogs.

Froog

I am sorry to hear that! Good luck with your other frogs!

Kaddock

Darn it, I have no other frogs...

But I'm never out of pets! My predatory katydids (Neobarrettia spinosa) are hatching soon, so that should be righteous! They would think frogs were delicious, so they must stay separate!

Zathura

O.O Holy ****! There's such a thing as predatory Katydids!?

I'm majoring in Entomology and had no idea such a thing existed. I must have some!!!

Where may I ask did you acquire these? The ones we have locally (Carolinas, US) are Herbivorous.

Btw...Is that picture actually one of yours? If so, I commend you not only on your choice of pet, but on your photography skills as well.

Thread Information