Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locust

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Locust

I have heard of using locusts as a feeder any info on this? Where to get them? Keeping? Breeding?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Locust

I always thought locust to be a European kind of thing. Not sure they are availible here in the US.

Nationality
    [United States]

I thought i heard someone on this forum that uses them.

Kevin1

I'd love to breed locust for feeders

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    I thought i heard someone on this forum that uses them.
    Well we do have a lot of members from the UK and other parts of Europa.

Nationality
    [United States]

hmm how do you keep/ breed them?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Tom, I breed Locust for my frogs and they love them. Its really good because the Baby Locusts are very small and then they go through stages in size so they are suitable for all size frogs or Reps. They are really easy to breed. They don't need heat lamps. They don't smell and they cost nothing to feed. There is not much info out there on breeding locust, so it was a bit of trial and error for me at first but now I have it sorted. Basically you need to give them a good sized tank with plenty of sticks to climb around on and for the young to hang off to shed their skin. They need fresh grass every day and put their tank in a place in your house that gets sun. The female will lay her eggs in a part sand part soil mix. This mix has to be in a container that 10cm deep. They don't need water and they will drown if you put a water dish in their tank. Im not sure how to put a picture of my Locust and tank on this post but I'll get my partner to help me with it when he gets home. Im sure I havn't thought of every thing so if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Tom, Ive put some photos for you in my album. Im sorry but I only know how to put pic there.

http://www.frogforum.net/members/ebo...iners-lay.html
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kurt; September 17th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

In Europe locusts are a big feeder insect. I believe they're not sold in the US due to the danger of them escaping into the wild and surviving - in Europe this isn't a problem. I think they're African Locusts by the way.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

I cant get to the picture

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    In Europe locusts are a big feeder insect. I believe they're not sold in the US due to the danger of them escaping into the wild and surviving - in Europe this isn't a problem. I think they're African Locusts by the way.
    Well that sucks cause that would be a natural food source for our pyxie frogs. I'm sure they must eat them at least seasonally in the wild.

Nationality
    [United States]

Disappointing that the Rocky Mountain locusts are extinct.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Ebony's locusts are not the African ones. That doesn't surprise me, given NZ's strict laws on animal imports.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thanks Kurt for sorting the pic. I'm useless sometimes.
    I got these Locusts a couple of years ago off trademe. I didn't even no we had them here and I still don't know. I know that they can not survive outside. (thank goodness) I wouldn't want them eating my garden.
    These Locusts eat very fast. Oh, and I forgot to say that I give them wheat-bran and sometimes bits of apple. They are about 7cm long. My adult frogs that are 10cm eat them with know problem at all. I did read not long ago that I should cut off their back legs before i feed them, as they can injure the frog insides. I haven't had a problem yet and I don't know if its necessary. Even though I breed them for my frogs, I do find them really cool. They don't bite. They only kick out their back legs if upset. I don't think I could cut their legs off. I also read that we should chop mealworms heads off before feeding so they don't eat the frog??? Don't know about that either. Has anyone else heard of this??

Nationality
    [United States]

I have heard that too but i don't do it.

Iceni

Yeah we always have a selection of food for the various animals we have.

Locusts come in a variety of sizes ( instars) Generally we feed the bearded dragon and the whites tree frog the same stage of locusts. Generally the winged type. this is the final instar and is the period at which they will breed.

Locust are great because of the size differences between the stages. And the food they eat. They will eat anything with a moisture content... and a few things without a moisture content. We generally give them Cabbage, carrot, and pea/bean pods. All of these things have great nutrient content. And that is passed on to your animals.

The size differences are worth noting because as the locust develops the Chitin content will dramatically change. The smallest 2 istars are great for anything small to eat, they have low chitin to protein values and give a good hearty feed, far better than an equally sized cricket ( crickets seem to be all chitin and water to me) hoppers also have a bigger gut and so will have more of the stuff you feed them in there guts when you feed them.

As locusts get bigger the chitin content will increase as the wing cases get larger, the final stage before they get wings they have big hard lumps on there backs with the wings inside.

Growth stages of locust nymphs - DAFF

this is your standard pet feeder locust in the UK and most of Europe.

Desert locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They will always be gregarious colours since there captive bred in close confinement.

And as for making them breed... Get a reasonable sized tank... If you have to use a standard plastic tank use a tall one over a wide one. Make sure when they jump they cannot bash there heads on the to of the tank from the bottom of the tank!!! They do this a lot in a small tank and you get a few deaths due to them hitting the tops of there heads!!!

When setting up to breed 2 tanks will be sufficient. Have your adults in one. With breeder tubes at the bottom of the tank (jam jars filled with loose packed damp sand.) Once you have confirmed the jar has eggs in it move it to a smaller tank with smaller holes in the top. And wait for the eggs to hatch. Make sure there is food ready for the nymphs.

When the locust get to a bigger size move them into the adult tank to mature. And repeat.

You won't get it right at first. But once you do you'll know how many jam jars you need a week to keep the adult tank stocked. Also locust have a great lifespan. We have kept the same pair for over 2 months into there adult life. And they will breed like crazy. Apparently they can have a lifespan of over 6 months!!!

Hope this helps.

Since your in the USA this is probably of no use to you at all But others will read it and will hopefully get this far down the page

Kevin1

Could cocofiber/coir be used instead of the sand or no?

Nationality
    [United States]

Is it possible to breed grasshoppers. Because i cant get locusts I'll back up with hoppers. From what i have heard most hoppers in my neighborhood breed in fall and the eggs hatch in spring so i need to find one that doesn't.

Kurt

You're welcome. THere is no need to remove body parts from feeder insects. No one does this for frogs in the wild, so it really doesn't need to be done in captivity.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thats what I thought. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information