Thread: American GTF and Squirrel TF

Default American GTF and Squirrel TF

I currently have four GTFs in an 18x18 enclosure and was wondering if it would be possible to mix in a single STF. I have the STF in a seperate tank all to himself, However, the tank is much too small, even for a frog that is less than an inch in size. Would this be a good idea or one that I would soon regret. I just recently seperated all of my whites and green tree frogs into seperate tanks and they lived together for over a year in perfect harmony. Of course the GTF were at maximum adult size and would not likely be eaten by the whites. To my knowledge GTFs are not aggressive eaters and would allow the STF to eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: American GTF and Squirrel TF

Quote Originally Posted by EZweasel View Post
    I currently have four GTFs in an 18x18 enclosure and was wondering if it would be possible to mix in a single STF. I have the STF in a seperate tank all to himself, However, the tank is much too small, even for a frog that is less than an inch in size. Would this be a good idea or one that I would soon regret. I just recently seperated all of my whites and green tree frogs into seperate tanks and they lived together for over a year in perfect harmony. Of course the American Green Tree Frog were at maximum adult size and would not likely be eaten by the whites. To my knowledge GTFs are not aggressive eaters and would allow the STF to eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
    Wouldn't the roles be inversed here? Because of the very small size of the STF, wouldn't it be in danger of been eaten by your GTFs?

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Wouldn't the roles be inversed here? Because of the very small size of the STF, wouldn't it be in danger of been eaten by your GTFs?
    I may be wrong, but I think the AGTF's mouth is too small even for the frog in question. The thing I'm most worried about is the skin toxins that the STF might produce. They are very similar species otherwise and to my knowledge their set up is somewhat similar.

clownonfire

I may be wrong, but I think the AGTF's mouth is too small even for the frog in question. The thing I'm most worried about is the skin toxins that the STF might produce. They are very similar species otherwise and to my knowledge their set up is somewhat similar.
    I didn't want to tackle the skin toxins as I'm sure this comment is about to come... But. I have a friend who keeps large enclosures of GTF and have found them to be cannibalistic when the size is right.

I didn't want to tackle the skin toxins as I'm sure this comment is about to come... But. I have a friend who keeps large enclosures of American Green Tree Frog and have found them to be cannibalistic when the size is right.
    'Allright, well I do appreciate your imput. I just didn't want another tank lol. I have a 18x24 mossy tree frog tank, a 20 and 10 gallon bullfrog tank, 18x18 whites tank and an 18x18 GTF tank, 12x18 RETF tank, and a 60 gallon fish aquarium....Too many tanks.

clownonfire

'Allright, well I do appreciate your imput. I just didn't want another tank lol. I have a 18x24 mossy tree frog tank, a 20 and 10 gallon bullfrog tank, 18x18 whites tank and an 18x18 American Green Tree Frog tank, 12x18 Red-Eyed Leaf Frog tank, and a 60 gallon fish aquarium....Too many tanks.
    I totally get you. In all transparency, the guys I'm talking about our the team at one of the only pet shop I go to and they simply stopped housing them together when the size difference was too big because of cannibalistic behavior.

Tony, Kurt or other tree frog keepers could give you more input...

E

Tony

While I haven't kept either species (illegal here in OR), they do occur together in nature and are similar enough in size that I suspect they would make a fairly safe pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    While I haven't kept either species (illegal here in OR), they do occur together in nature and are similar enough in size that I suspect they would make a fairly safe pairing.
    AGTF's are illegal in OR? That's crazy lol.

Tony

AGTF's are illegal in OR? That's crazy lol.
    Most native US amphibians are illegal here due to their invasive potential, real or perceived.

clownonfire

Tony and other tree frogs owners, I'd like to start another thread on the sizes of some tree frogs. From what I have read on STF's size (1.5 inches), and what Tony describes as a GTF small size difference, it doesn't correlate with my Hyla cinerea and the ones kept in pet shops in Montreal, and I feel by this post we are either importing over-sized monsters or breeding them on potent steroids....

E.

Tony and other tree frogs owners, I'd like to start another thread on the sizes of some tree frogs. From what I have read on STF's size (1.5 inches), and what Tony describes as a American Green Tree Frog small size difference, it doesn't correlate with my Hyla cinerea and the ones kept in pet shops in Montreal, and I feel by this post we are either importing over-sized monsters or breeding them on potent steroids....

E.
    This is interesting. All of my AGTFs are not that big in size and they are adults. The ones we have here at the NC Zoo are huge, pretty much the same size as the whites tree frogs that they house them with. Not only are they as long as the Whites but also as fat as the whites. Of course all of my AGTFs are wild caught as they have just expanded their territory in recent years into the piedmont area of NC. (I have fun tracking them down). I'm not sure if that makes any difference though.

Thread Information