Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New D. tinctorius "Azureus"

clownonfire

Default New D. tinctorius "Azureus"

Hi all,

Well, my son - and myself - have been waiting for these. This is our pair of sexed D. tinctorius "Azureus": Luke and Leia. I've build the tank with Theo. Plans were also chosen with him: broms, wandering jews and I'm planting a oak leaf ficus tomorrow.

Eric

Female:

Male:

Tank:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New D. tinctorius "Azureus"

Absolutely beautiful!!!!! Love the color on those. Congratulations!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

guppygal

Very nice! How old are they? I ask because Luke's toes look a little bit feminine to me ~

I love Azureus - my Bertha has been with me since the beginning, 8 yrs ago. They're such an awesome frog. Whenever I go to Lowe's to get some vivarium-sized plants, I whip out a pix of Bertha and I always get a very decent discount on the plants. Azureus are THE poison dart frog that everybody has seen and remembers.

Your tank is coming along nicely - do you have more planting to do? I noticed that my Azureus like to sit on something tallish, for some reason. After a bit, they'll come to recognize you, especially when it's feeding time.

Enjoy your beautiful babies - they ROCK!!

kristi
    Last edited by guppygal; June 21st, 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: mispelling

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by guppygal View Post
    Very nice! How old are they? I ask because Luke's toes look a little bit feminine to me ~

I love Azureus - my Bertha has been with me since the beginning, 8 yrs ago. They're such an awesome frog. Whenever I go to Lowe's to get some vivarium-sized plants, I whip out a pix of Bertha and I always get a very decent discount on the plants. Azureus are THE poison dart frog that everybody has seen and remembers.

Your tank is coming along nicely - do you have more planting to do? I noticed that my Azureus like to sit on something tallish, for some reason. After a bit, they'll come to recognize you, especially when it's feeding time.

Enjoy your beautiful babies - they ROCK!!

kristi
    Hi Kristi,

They are juvies, about 5 months old, got them from a well-known Montreal breeder. This is how he presented them to me. I was initially supposed to get them from Mark Pepper at UE, like my P. terribilis and R. ventrimaculatus, but this was easier...

They were not my first choice, though... Like you said, everyone remembers the blue frog... And my son has been wanting them since he's first saw them... It was therefore a pleasure to get him some for his bday... Cause it's for his *ahem* bday... He also made a request to not have boring frogs like my Atelopus hoogmoedi.

As for plants, yes, I'm heavy on plants. I still have two ficus to plant, one pumila and one oak leaf. I've made the backdrop out of tree bark, with holes and climbing spots. Of course they have just been introduced so they are stressed and are climbing everywhere, but I'll be able to figure out their favorite spots soon enough and plant some more...

E.

bshmerlie

They look great Eric.. congrats. Im sure Theo will love them. Mine are babies but they too like to sit on top of the plants and ledges.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    They look great Eric.. congrats. Im sure Theo will love them. Mine are babies but they too like to sit on top of the plants and ledges.
    Cheri, I can see this already with mine. I got a 30 gallon that is 19 inches high. The backdrop as I wrote is all made of real tree bark, which I have added making sure I left ledges, holes, and at the top of the backdrop, enough space for them to perch on the highest ledge (see pic - that is at 19 inches high).

Kristi, The breeder introduced them as male/female based on his experience with them, and said there could be a mistake based on their age, but he was quite confident about sexing them because of their development: female is noticeably bigger than the male, and her belly (I don't know the word in English) is also much wider.

Eric

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How did you ready the tree bark? I was just thinking last night that it would be nice to install some tree bark instead of buying that overpriced stuff in the pet stores. How did you install it?

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    How did you ready the tree bark? I was just thinking last night that it would be nice to install some tree bark instead of buying that overpriced stuff in the pet stores. How did you install it?
    I have used Jedi mind tricks, Amy. Must make sure I don't fall asleep.

Actually, I have used some expanding foam and some Silicone II for the pieces of smalled bark.

Nationality
    [United States]

So Eric has finally seen the light and gotten a pair of "da blue ones"! Your going to enjoy them greatly. Mine are so bold and active. Plus they really stand out with that bright blue color.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    I have used Jedi mind tricks, Amy. Must make sure I don't fall asleep.

Actually, I have used some expanding foam and some Silicone II for the pieces of smalled bark.
    I'm not weak minded enough for your Jedi tricks to work on me!!! LOL Must have slipped while I was tired last night, I laid in bed for an hour thinking about how that would work in my tank!

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    So Eric has finally seen the light and gotten a pair of "da blue ones"! Your going to enjoy them greatly. Mine are so bold and active. Plus they really stand out with that bright blue color.
    Yes, I have succumbed to the Blue side....

bshmerlie

Awww....How could anyone resist a bright blue frog? Well, except for Eric who likes the obscure brown ones. Ya know... the ones hiding in caves and such.

clownonfire

Awww....How could anyone resist a bright blue frog? Well, except for Eric who likes the obscure brown ones. Ya know... the ones hiding in caves and such.
    .... I know. You are right though. Just took a walk with Sara, and she made a similar comment... I have another friend who has D. auratus "El Cope" tads galore, and wants to give me some, and I've been declining for whatever reason... Free, and I say no!! And here I am going out of my way to find some burrowing almost always hidden S. gottlebei...

I must find a compromise, and get all of them. It seems fair to me.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    They are still one of my favorites, no matter how common or inexpensive they may be. I just heard from some friends who have a 19 year old pair of unrelated F1 azureus, they are still breeding and the next round of offspring are all mine. I just hope I can do them justice and raise them up to be as huge as the parents are.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    They are still one of my favorites, no matter how common or inexpensive they may be. I just heard from some friends who have a 19 year old pair of unrelated F1 azureus, they are still breeding and the next round of offspring are all mine. I just hope I can do them justice and raise them up to be as huge as the parents are.
    What is an F1 azureus Tony...?

As for me it's not the common nor inexpensive part that I am influenced by (after all, I own an American green tree frog and some fire-bellied toads)... It's more the "what I want" (black frog, S.gottlebei, etc) compared to "what I want less" (tincts, auratus, etc).... But I am very proud and happy to have a pair of these blue frogs. They definitely make great frogs to show!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are awesome Eric. I love the blue frogs myself.

Someday I'll have blue frogs too I hope ;-)

And beautiful viv setup too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    What is an F1 azureus Tony...?

As for me it's not the common nor inexpensive part that I am influenced by (after all, I own an American green tree frog and some fire-bellied toads)... It's more the "what I want" (black frog, S.gottlebei, etc) compared to "what I want less" (tincts, auratus, etc).... But I am very proud and happy to have a pair of these blue frogs. They definitely make great frogs to show!
    F1, at least as it is used in the hobby, means they are the offspring of wild caught parents.

bshmerlie

F1= One generation away from wild caught.

Eric, I think you just like the rare frogs. Frogs that no ones working with and you have to figure them out. I on the other hand want to figure out "frogs" in general then I will deal with the "difficult" ones down the road. I can see me continually swaping out frogs if I get bored with them. I'll trade them in for something that I find more challenging or interesting as I go along.

clownonfire

F1= One generation away from wild caught.

Eric, I think you just like the rare frogs. Frogs that no ones working with and you have to figure them out. I on the other hand want to figure out "frogs" in general then I will deal with the "difficult" ones down the road. I can see me continually swaping out frogs if I get bored with them. I'll trade them in for something that I find more challenging or interesting as I go along.
    I don't think it's the rare part, at least not entirely. Sara said it well a few minutes ago: I like what she calls "Emo Frogs - poor little frogs that like to burrow in sorrow"... But seriously, I think I like to make a difference and frogs in need call to me more than frogs that I know do extremely well in the hobby...

"Frogs that no ones working with and you have to figure them out. " That is on the money. It caters to my obsessive and curious nature.

And thank you, Tony and Cheri for the F1 explanation.

Grrrit

I must find a compromise, and get all of them. It seems fair to me.[/QUOTE]

lol i agree, eric. very cool looking frogs. and what a lucky kid to have some for his bday. im very jealous
    my tincs should be here tomorrow! im so excited. and i'll have to pick up some batteries and update everyone on what i've been working on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information