Thread: Old School Frog Enthusiast :)

Exsoldier309

Default Old School Frog Enthusiast :)

Hello all! Around 2001 I started an exotic pet collection that quickly grew over the years. I had everything from pacman frogs, monitors, scorpions and tarantulas. However my favorite were always my albino pacman, and my dwarf pixie. In 2004 I left to the Army and sadly had to get rid of my extensive collection. I kept my pacman and pixie though (didn't have the heart to give them away). I raised my two beloved frogs through out my military career until unfortunatly my home caught fire from a careless neighbor and my pacman frog was killed. To my surprise my african bullfrog survived through the heat, smoke and soot! I still have my pixie today, he is about 9 years old and is currently my only pet besides a fat cat that I rescued. I love my frog dearly and have created a bond with him. Ive been through so much in life (military, girlfriends, burnt houses etc) but my tough resilient frog lives on. His name is Loyde a name that I gave him when he was a tiny froglet and I didn't know his sex. I believe its a female, but I've referred to him as a "he" for so long I kept his male name. Being in law enforcement leaves me little time to care for too many pets, but I'm in the market for one more frog, any ideas? Sorry for the long intro, thanks everyone!

artes

Default Re: Old School Frog Enthusiast :)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pacman frog, but am delighted your bullfrog pulled through!

This article might help make a decision for you:
    http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...sing-frog.html

Not on the list, but highly recommended by me are White's Tree Frogs. Not only do they tolerate handling, some seem to flat out enjoy it. Froggie enjoys using me like a playground. They're also adorable, and turn into ferocious and funny hunters when prey is about. They are nocturnal, so I'm not sure how that would work for your schedule. Mine wake up in the afternoon for a bit to play though. They're also pretty easy to keep.

Exsoldier309

That would be a welcoming experience being that my two previous frogs were of the heavy eater category and can mistaken my fingers for pinky mice lol ill look into thanks!

artes

Lol! My white's tree frogs are on my avatar. Froggie is the brown one, and Chance is the green one. There are also orangey colored ones, and green ones who take on a strong blue tint.

bufus

wow, what a story, yeah actually african bullfrogs arre the battle tank of the frog world!! They are very capable to withstand forest fires and very high temp, as you have experianced first hand.... welcome to the forum

Exsoldier309

Thanks bufus, although their fat, lazy and rarely ever move african bullfrogs are my favorite. Since I'm picking the hobby up I'm picking up a male this weekend. My current is a female dwarf and is slightly bigger then my fist. I want another massive beast again! My pacman was the size of a small football. Ill post pictures after the purchase.

artes

I can't wait to see the photos! One day, I'd love to get one myself.

Exsoldier309

Yea I'm excited to raise a new frog. Loyde has been my only frog for 5 years. And after this purchase I'm looking into getting a couple of White's, Ive been doing my research and you were right artes they seem to love being handled and are very entertaining pets.

BG

Yup i would get two whites and a male giant pixie you only live once.

artes

True story BG.

Thread Information