Thread: New and have questions

nabbott31

Default New and have questions

My son won this tadpole at the fair. We dont know what kind it is or how to take care of it. Can anyone help us?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: New and have questions

I'm guessing bull frog?!??! No clue there. But it gets it up top for someone to give u a positve Id .

nabbott31

if it is a bullfrog what do we feed it? does it need a big tank with a land section and water section? I really need some help. We dont want it to die

Baelari

I think you can feed them fish flakes and bloodworms. I think the water needs to be changed or filtered too. I've never raised a tadpole myself though.

Leefrogs

I think they require a really big tank as adults. He'll eat fish flakes until he gets legs, then he'll not eat until tail is gone.

I'm waiting fir someone with experiance to ID so you can look up temps and get more info. .................. But

Iratus ranunculus

Well, I seem to be the resident hard-core ranid keeper/researcher.

It is a bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeianus), no particular question about it.

As a tadpole, fish food will work just fine, as will the algae pellets you might feed to a sucker fish (mine LOVE sinking pellets for chiclid fish). For the tadpole, a five or ten gallon tank set up with a filter and some gravel on the bottom should be fine. Once he is a little frog, you will want a ten gallon tank filled about half way up with water, and some sort of land area. I tend to use some sort of tank divider to physically separate out a land area (one half land, say... gravel covered with moss, the other half water with some aquarium plants) and make sure there are places for the little guy to hide. Make sure there is a secure lid

At that size, vitamin dusted crickets and small worms work well. When he gets bigger (much bigger) you will want to have him in a minimum of a twenty gallon tank set up in pretty much the same way, preferably a bit larger. For food, crickets, earthworms, cockroaches(not the kind that live in your bathroom. Cockroaches are REALLY good food for these guys, but there are species which are far more phyically attractive and less nasty that are commercially bred as frog and reptile food. Dubia roaches are a good choice. They cannot climb glass, or fly. They are also live-bearers and breeding them yourself is easy), large caterpillars (Tobacco Hornworms are also a good choice, and fairly cheap if ordered online), beetles... pretty much whatever large insect you can use should be the staple food source, though fish and really small mice can be given as treats.

8. This member thanks Iratus ranunculus for this post:

kdg

Hi, I'm new too, but have been doing lots of research into Bullfrogs lately,

Bullfrog adults eat just about anything that moves. Tadpoles on the other hand, eat algae and plant matter, as well as some larval insects. Alot of pet stores sell Tadpole bites, or Tadpole pellets (They have them near me at both Petsmart and Petco).
    If you are planning to keep the little guy until it morphs into a frog, you may have some time to wait. It can take 1- 2 years for bullfrogs to mature into frogs, longer in colder climates.
    If you start them on the tadpole food, then transitioning them to pelleted or gel adult food is easier. I STRONGLY suggest the packaged food, unless you want to run to the petstore every few days for crickets, or have your son hunting insects and worms for them to eat as adults.
    Adult bullfrogs get rather large, so you may need a big tank. They shed alot, so look into some kind of quiet filtration system too, or you will be cleaning the tank all the time.

Keep in mind that it is NOT a good idea to release the frog into the wild. Even if they are indiginous, they can carry a host of amphibian specific maladies that can have a drastic impact on the local ecosystem.
    Good Luck!

Thread Information