Thread: Housing for African Clawed Frogs?

WaterFrog

Default Housing for African Clawed Frogs?

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has opinions on African Clawed Frog housing? I'm doing internet searches but it would be nice to hear from others. I'm thinking of getting an ACF but of course want a proper set-up first...Iv read different things about the sizes of the tanks to use and use or not of filter etc. etc. Any info would be good. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Housing for African Clawed Frogs?

hi!!!

Definitely something I can help out with -

basics -
    10 gallons for 1 frog, 20 gallon standard/high for 2 frogs, 20 gallon long for 3...bigger the tank the more frogs you can have

filter! VERY messy and a filter will help you keep it healthier and a whole lot less smelly in my opinion.

Still need to do water changes - weekly siphon out water from the bottom of the tank (waste and left over food settle at the bottom so this is where you want the suction to be)...change about 25% water weekly and condition with a dechlorinator.

diet - Reptomin sticks and HBH frog and tadpole bites (USA) or Zoomed frog bites (UK) make a great staple diet. Treat with frozen bloodworms and earthworms.

I have a site you can visit for much more depth relating to each sub category.
    Jenste's African Frogs - Home

and of course, post any question you might have! Love helping potential frog owners - they make wonderful pets

WaterFrog

Default Re: Housing for African Clawed Frogs?

Awesome! Thanks so much and the site is great. I had read a few places saying that filters stress them out..if that was the case I figured an ACF would not be for me then. I have fish tanks and don't want to deal with an unfiltered tank. After getting my ADFs I find myself being drawn into the aquatic frog world, when getting my ADFs they also had some ACFs and Iv been thinking more about them ever since ha ha.

How happy do you think one would be by itself? I have multiple spare 10 gallons I could get to work on but if they really prefer company I could start looking for a 20 gallon (probably a high though because I have a stand/place for one already)....then maybe I could get 2..What do you think?

(Love your avatar BTW, cute!)

Thread Information