Thread: New Pac Tree Frog Tank

Zero138

Default New Pac Tree Frog Tank

I went from wanting to get rid of these guys because I had to move them into a smaller tank, to THIS...
    (ok so the reason i moved them was because i adopted an adult crested gecko. He was living in a 12x12x18 which was to small. I moved him into the 12x18x20 my 4 frogs were in and put them in his. We just got rid of our bearded dragon a few weeks ago and I was reserving her tank for my new Chahoua Gecko im getting today . I was going to divide it and have half to a crestie and half to a Chewie, but then i decided my Chewie will live in that 12x12x18 just fine for a while cause hes still small and I decided to Plant the 55 for my Frogs. I am also looking into getting a pair of anoles. What you think about that? my smallest frog is penny sized the others are quarter sized.
    Here is the New Tank... note i just planted this so in time it will grow but the plants were cheaper at this size and yes there are some fake plants still. there are 4 real ones

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pac Tree Frog Tank

It is looking good! The only things that I would suggest is a few more branches, 4 tree frogs are going to need more space than just 1 bar to share. The other thing you might want to consider adding eventually is a drainage layer of hydroton for your plants, that will help prevent root rot. Someone on here told me once, if it looks like you have too many plants, then you have enough. Keep adding and watching them grow, eventually it's going to look super fantastic.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Zero138

ya they love hanging out in the hanging plants.
    there is two bamboo sticks and a bunch of hanging plants. They are loving the new space compared to the 12x12x18, i felt so horrible for having them in....

So how would a few anoles do in here. this seems to be the right setup/ animal combo but just checking

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post
    ya they love hanging out in the hanging plants.
    there is two bamboo sticks and a bunch of hanging plants. They are loving the new space compared to the 12x12x18, i felt so horrible for having them in....

So how would a few anoles do in here. this seems to be the right setup/ animal combo but just checking
    Mixing species is usually frowned upon, but it would really depend on your level of experience. If that's what you want to do, I would do some serious research about the needs of each species and watch them very carefully for signs of stress.

Zero138

yes I am aware that people dont like mixing. And Im new to frogs but not keeping in general.
    I really wanna do Anoles simply because i want to have a little more to look at in this tank.
    Im very exited with what this will grow into the plants are still young.

What would you put in here if you were in my shoes

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am kind of in your shoes, I have 4 gray tree frogs and I'm new to frogs, though I've had other herps in the past (iguana and chameleons) I personally would not feel comfortable mixing the species at this point. You also have to make sure that anoles are found in the wild with your specific type of frog, they do live in the same environment as frogs, but only a select few.

Also, keep in mind, if you choose to do it and one of the types of animals appears to be stressed, you are going to go through the same issue again of getting another viv or getting rid of one of them.

I know the plants will grow, but when adding more animals, you are going to need far more hiding places than that. I've had this viv a month...

...and since that specific picture, I've added 2 ficus trees and 2 ground cover plants. Currently I only have 1 tree frog in there (10 gallon tank)

I hope that helps you some!! Good luck with your decision.

Baelari

Yeah, mixing species isn't such a good idea, especially for a beginner. They could poison or stress one another to death, or just eat each other (or their toes!). If you do mix species, you have to have species from the same area in the wild, and lots of space to create the micro-climate for each species. It's too big of an undertaking for the beginner.

DogRetepCow

It's risky enough to mix frogs together, but frogs are amphibians and anoles are reptiles and most reptiles require significantly higher heating than amphibians, as far as I know. So yeah, it really would be best to house them in a seperate terrarium.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Heating for anoles is mid to upper 80's, not sure how much your frogs would enjoy that temp full time.

DogRetepCow

http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...orus-frog.html

It says they can tolerate a wide range temperatures but 65-75 degrees is probably the best range. I'm pretty sure for most frogs temperatures in the 80s aren't recommended.

Zero138

Yes these frogs are native to Oregon and in the summer it gets well over 80 these were wild caught tadpoles from someones pond. I think they would do just fine in higher temps, although the tank is large enough to allow a nice temp gradient and even half the tank with the changes I've made would seem to be sufficient for these frogs.
    Here is the "new look"
    Let me know what ya think.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Awesome!!! That is looking absolutely wonderful! Your frogs are going to be very thankful for all those plants! That is going to fill in beautifully, good job!

Tony

Looks good, that should be a happy bunch of PTFs. I would skip the anoles personally, single species tanks are so much easier to manage, especially when you have two that need very different conditions.

Zero138

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to see how it fills in! I put the pathos in opposite corners one on the right back and the other on the left front I can't wait to see how jungly it gets when those fill in! I'm in love, I might build a background for this but not sure, I don't really mind seeing through and the frogs are always stuck to the glass...
    Thanks again I think for just 4 free frogs they have a pretty decent little home! Like I said I felt so badfor the small home they were in I almost gave them to my friends backyard pond. Glad I kept them!

Thread Information