Thread: New frog lover saying hello

katrinaspooks

Default New frog lover saying hello

Hi all,
    I've had a grey tree frog for a year now named Sticky (Mr. Sticky Fingers). He has been a great pet for entertaining my family and has grown and thrived. Although I don't actually think it's a "him" anymore, because he doesn't sing. Trying to get some tips for introducing a new grey to the vive. I hope Sticky doesn't think the little new frog is food! Any suggestions are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Baelari

Default Re: New frog lover saying hello

Quarantine any new additions for a few weeks, to ensure you don't introduce a disease into your viv.

Umm... other people will probably add more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There isn't much more than what Baelari said! Quarantining for 30 days is highly recommended, that way anything they might have, parasites, fungal infections, bacterial infections, don't infect your current frog or the entire tank for that fact. I can't imagine what a pain it would be to have to sterilize your entire set up.

Try to make sure the new frog is at least 50% of the size of your current frog. My experience with a female gray is that she'll eat anything that moves, even if it is too big for her, I have to watch carefully the size of the crickets that I put in her tank because if I accidentally drop one in that is too big, she'll go for it!

How big is your viv? From that picture it looks kind of small, but pictures can be deceiving. You did good, I went from 1 gray tree frog to 4 in just 2 weeks, I had no patience, I wanted more LOL
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And welcome to the forum!!! You'll get lots of information here
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

katrinaspooks

I have them in a 10 gallon tank right now, but I would love to get a taller one. The little one came out from her hiding spot and ate last night so I felt good about that. And I'm pretty sure that Sticky was checking her out. I hope they have a long and mutually satisfying froggie friendship. I think the biggest challenge will be making sure the little one (who is still needs a name!) gets enough to eat with jabba the hut around.

bufus

hi, and welcome... i must agree with amy, careful when introducing a new frog especially the size. she will eat the little chap no questions asked!!! i like to quarantine my frogs in different rooms, as i had a surinam toad which was wild caught and i had no idea that it was,kept it in the same room but in a different viv and nearly destroyed my entire collection, because it had an internal parasite, so nowadys i keep the newbes in a different room for a month, and threat them during that month, so as to be sure that they are cleaned inside out!

katrinaspooks

so far so good. the new frog (named Gummy) is adjusting well. I obtained a 29 gallon tank that I'm going to set up today for them. I'm sure they will be glad to have more room to hop and explore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Glad to hear you're not having problems. As long as they're both adult, even if they are different sizes you shouldn't have any problems.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

katrinaspooks

It was pretty cute when they were huddled together last night after I put them into their new tank!

Thread Information