Thread: Dead whites

brnbear

Default Dead whites

My new whites died today after only having been here for eight days I hate this, I feel so bad. I don't think I did anything wrong, but she just wouldn't eat. I will take her body back to petco today and they will give me a new one I guess. I just don't know if I really want to because I don't want to have to deal with another one dying.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Dead whites

Quote Originally Posted by brnbear View Post
    My new whites died today after only having been here for eight days I hate this, I feel so bad. I don't think I did anything wrong, but she just wouldn't eat. I will take her body back to petco today and they will give me a new one I guess. I just don't know if I really want to because I don't want to have to deal with another one dying.
    Hi Brandon. Sorry for your loss. Before you get the other White's, would you mind posting a pic of the enclosure? We could help you set it up with you!

And I think you're right, your White's wouldn't have died after only 8 days of not eating. Next time, try and put a little bowl of water with some honey in it. It's usually good for new frogs...

Eric

brnbear

The one picture with the paper towel substrate is my temporary tank for new frogs before I put them into the other one which is the main tank. They sit next to each other and share a light. The other picture is of my dead froggie.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry for your loss Your main tank needs a lot of work though. Branches and more hiding places.

That was my tree frog tank when it was newer, since then, I've added 6 more plants, 2 of them being ficus trees (broad flat leaves for sitting on) Just to give you some ideas.

How many whites do you have in that tank right now?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

brnbear

Ohh okay, I will definitely add some more plants. Is it okay if I use fake plants temporarily until I can find more real ones for a good price that I like? Currently there is one frog in my main tank. I have one in my "new frog" tank that I plan to move to the main tank in a few weeks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Brandon,
    Before you put in some new Whites Tree Frogs, lets get your tank up to par to enhance the living conditions and provide a healthier environment for the little ones.

Whites need humidity above 60 percent and 70 would be best.
    The also need temps at 60 to 70 at night and 75 - 80 during the day.

So to begin:
    • Remove any under tank heater and lets put it on the side of the tank to provide a warm side and a cooler side.
    • Whites like to feel safe and hidden, so lets put in some branches, vines or live plants. Pothos, Snake Plants or Bromeliads would be great additions and live plants help keep up humidity levels.
    • If not using live plants, get some fake vines hanging and some branches for them to climb.
    • Provide a water dish deep enough for the frog to soak, but not enough for them to full submerge. Ensure you change this at least every other day f not daily.
    • If you have a full screen top, cover 1/2 of it with glass, platic, or even cling wrap to help retain humidity.
    • You are going to have to wet down the tank with a mister at least twice a day to also keep up the humidity.

Next, bring home the frogs.
    • If no frogs are in the viv, put them in and cover three sides of the viv.
    • Set the viv in a quiet place to help reduce stress. Please note that not being able to hide, loud sudden noises, and low humidity all will raise the stress level for the frogs, and thus, potential loss of your new friends.
    • Give the frogs some time to settle in,. Some frogs settle in within a week or two while others can take a month or more.
    • You can slowly remove the side coverings over the up coming weeks.

Hope this info helps and you have a healthy long lived frog.
    If I missed anything, hopefully someone will chime in.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

brnbear

Thank you very much for that total breakdown of the basics...that was one of the most helpful things I have seen! I maintain my humidity pretty well in the main tank. Usually I can keep it between 50 and 80. I will definitely add a lot more plants. For the time being I have several fake vines from walmart that I will put in until I can purchase more alive plants. Also, the idea with placing the glass over part of the tank should help keep the humidity up! I don't currently have a side heater, do I need to buy one? And I will definitely use some of those siding things to help my new froggy. Thank you again for your help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You don't need the heater as long as your tank stays above 72 degrees in the daytime.
    And as long as it doesn't drop below 68 at night.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

brnbear

Okay I should be fine then; my house usually stays between 68 and 78 throughout the year.

Thread Information