Thread: Whites almost drowning?

brnbear

Default Whites almost drowning?

I walked in to check on my new whites (1 week at my house) and she was face down in the water bowl floating...her smalll front legs were tucked in and her back legs were stretched out and she looked dead. So I picked her up and she didn't move. I set her on the ground of her tank but then she started breathing really heavy and sshaky and her eyes opened and she did tha t for a little and now she is fine. What could of happened to cause her to almost drown? The water bowl is much smaller than the one in my other tree frog tank. It is maybe an inch deep. I emptied most of the water out now...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lnaminneci

Default Re: Whites almost drowning?

Hey Brandon,

Hmmm, I have seen one of my frogs floating as you saw yours do....face down legs sprawled out and not moving. Scared me at first, then I touched her and she quickly moved and jumped out.

She may have just been trying to "soak", but how has she been acting otherwise? It is unusual that she didn't move when you touched her. Is she active? Eating?

Keep us updated on how she's doing.

~Lesley

brnbear

She is rather active...like a good level of activity. But she has not been eating very much......there are three crickets running around her tank since last night and she has not eaten them and I feel like that may be bizarre. But also, she is a new frog. I just got her last week. So the eating thing may just be part of getting used to her new surroundings?

maimedophelia

White's can drown if the water is too deep - it shouldn't go past (about) the middle of their legs while in sitting position. You said an inch deep and unless your frog is 3-4 inches already that seems way too deep. Try putting less water in the bowl and maybe a rock or some moss to help the frog get in and out of the water. Best of luck.

Thread Information