Thread: Big eyed help

bruce m

Default Big eyed help

I have a big eyed tree frog and it ate my gtf that was a little smaller and it just tried to eat a frog bigger than it, are they aggresive?? and ive been feeding it and i watched it eat 5 crickets earlier, do i need to feed it more? thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Big eyed help

what other frogs are with it? what size of tank? how many frogs?
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.1.0 Big Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    0.1.0 Mixed Breed Puppy <3
    Way too many fish

bruce m

3 gtf's, the big eyed, a grey tree frog, and a chubby frog that burrows in the EE, the pet store told me i could keep them together, and i couldnt find any info online, none of them are adults

in a 37 gallon

Nationality
    [United States]

it could be aggression due to close quarters with other frogs, that is very possible, and just like people, some frogs are more aggressive than others, i know most people in the frog community dont agree with keeping different species together, and I wouldn't recommend it to someone knew, but you are deff going to want to separate him/her from the other or else he/she will most likely just eat another one
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    Way too many fish

Tony

Some pet stores will say anything to make a sale, and that one definitely steered you in the wrong direction. You have species from 3 continents of varying sizes, temperaments, and environmental needs, that is a recipe for disaster as you have seen. On the bright side you get to have fun setting up some new tanks to get them all split up.

Baelari

Pet stores don't really give good advice. You shouldn't actually mix species, as the frogs will stress each other out, eat each other, or slowly poison one another. It's a bad idea in general.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Baelari View Post
    Pet stores don't really give good advice. You shouldn't actually mix species, as the frogs will stress each other out, eat each other, or slowly poison one another. It's a bad idea in general.

unless you do your research and really know what your doing
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    Way too many fish

clownonfire

I've seen tanks where species were mixed, quite often. And the only times I've seen them work is when it was done by very serious senior hobbyists, where biotopes had been created in very large tanks, and where it was made sure that all the frogs in the tank were from the same area, and their native space was respected (arboreal space for species X and terrestrial space for species Y). But obviously, we're not talking about this here...

Like Tony said, you have frogs that come from all over the globe, and these frogs have very different needs. Now if your frog will not disappear because they will feed on the smaller ones (some frogs are cannibalistic and will simply eat a smaller version of themselves or another species), they will slowly die because of being in a tank with wrong climate for them, or from slow poisoning as toxins from other frogs will end up being lethal for them.

So take the opportunity to build a few new tanks... And we are here to help you make these new tanks perfectly suited for your frogs... Just ask us!

Eric

Thread Information