Thread: Very shy (or scared) white's tree frogs

lara

Default Very shy (or scared) white's tree frogs

I used to have a white's tree frog that I adopted from a co-worker that didn't want him anymore. He was great - sat out in the open all of the time, good green color, ate well, etc. After several years I was trying to fix up his tank a bit by adding a waterfall. I must have done too much and stressed him out, because the next morning I found him dead in the cave he used to sleep in. I was sooo sad

After redoing the viv and waiting several months I got two new white's tree frogs. These two are so shy (or scared) that they never come out into the open when it is day time and spend their time in the darkest most private areas they can find. Also their color is much more brown than green. They seem to eat fine and are moving around at night (poop in the tree branches and dirt in the water bowls), but I basically never see them unless I really hunt. When I need to handle them on occasion to clean their bowls or the side of the tank they seem very scared and immediately pee on me or try to get away.

Why would they both be so different than my first frog? Maybe caught from the wild and not bred in captivity?

I always have fed my frogs by dumping a bunch of crickets into the tank, so they can hunt them down. I don't feed them in a separate dish or with a tweezer as I have seen some do. Would it help to try hand feeding them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Very shy (or scared) white's tree frogs

How long have you had them?

Litoria caerulea are night time active and after first introduced to a new viv, will take weeks to a month to become more trusting. They will over time realize that you are supplying the crickets.
    May take months before they understand that.

Post a pic of the viv and some statistics such as temps and humidity levels.
    Someone might see something that might help.
    Plus we all love pics.

My Litoria caerulea took a few months to not run and hide every time the door opened. Now they attack the cricket tubes I use to drop in crickets and they will jump into my hands (some of them).
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

lara

I've had them for several months now - that is what is so odd. Seems like they should have had time to get accustomed. I did add some new wood pieces a month or so after I got them, but that was still a few months ago. Funny that they are both the same way. They do call out quite a bit - almost every night. Quite loudly at times (especially if a baseball game comes on or some other loud noise like a lawnmower), almost as if they are competing.

I'll try to get a picture tonight of the viv after work...

Emma B

Could they possibly be too cool, mine are browner the cooler they are and greener the warmer they are, maybe being a little warmer would make them more active and visable?

lara

Thanks Emma - I noticed that with my first tree frog also. Even though it is about 100 degrees here in LA right now, the air conditioner kicks on in the house. Maybe they are too close to one of the vents - I'll try to adjust things and see if their color changes at all. These two frogs are a bit of a mystery compared to my first!

Thread Information