Thread: Re-did the Viv, with pics and new frogs!

LIZZIE82

Wink Re-did the Viv, with pics and new frogs!

My Red-Eyed Leaf Frog, Isabel died. I lost three of those to the same bacterial infection. They were sold to me this way and I tried so so hard to keep them alive. Isabel looked "odd" and I called the vet and said she looked like Sammy did and should I put her on the antibiotics. He told me to. I did and she died on day 7 of the treatment.

I totally re-did everything. I got 2 new plants, sanitized my bromeliad. I got the only bag I could find of hydro balls, screens with loose eco earth over the screen. I bought the moss that will continue to grow (it does!) and sanitized the soaking dish. I made some hills and bought a side heater.

Then, I returned my American green tree frog, she LOVED it! I decided to buy two more AGTF. When I got them home, one was a little stressed and his color was more lime green on one side and darker on the other, he reminded me of that episode of FRIENDS were Ross gets a spray tan and ends up only getting half of his body. So, now I have Ross. The little one that I got was kind of anal about everything (still is) and I named her Monica. They all seem very happy.

I do have a question about feeding though. Monica and Charlotte LOVE food and aren't skittish about anything. Ross, on the other hand, doesn't like me. I will see him jumping around the viv and then he'll see me, jump to the glass and ball up tight. This is creating a problem with feeding. I am trying to not have to take him out for feeding but he gets freaked when he sees me and doesn't notice there is food right away. By that time, they have eaten them or the crickets have burrowed in the moss. I make sure he gets a few but I want him to have his fair share. The bowl is a no-go. Char and Monica will eat every single last one in minutes and Ross will get none. I have started to put a bag of crickets on the side of the tank for them to see them, get interested and hungry. I do that an normally within 5 mins I have 3 frogs lined up staring at their food. Ross still isn't very fast but at least I get him interested. Any other ideas?? I don't want to have them in another tank for feeding, mainly I don't want to stress him and I think I will catch him maybe once and he will never come out again.

Also, I've never heard any of them call. Ross might be a girl. Perhaps he has a complex?

1st pic: Ross. He got scared when I brought out the camera and hid up there.
    2nd pic: VIV
    3rd: Charlotte. She's my photogenic one. Loves to pose!
    4th: Monica. She gets all crazy looking when I bring out the food!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Re-did the Viv, with pics and new frogs!

Congratulations!! How long have you had them? I just got 3 new gray tree frogs, and on the way home from picking them up, one called the entire time. Since putting them in their new enclosure though, silence...maybe there is an adjustment time? One of the new frogs was also refusing to eat. I let it go for a few days and then I started moving it to its own tank during feeding, he/she was the littlest one and not getting anything in! Now it is eating 1-2 crickets a day like that. Still terrified of me though. It is easy to find though because it sticks to a branch at the very top of the tank lol.

I like the idea of putting the crickets by the tank though, I should try that and see if I can get the little one feeding in the tank again.

Maybe there is an issue of temp, size, or humidity? I wouldn't think so though considering the other ones are feeding fine.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

artes

I imagine this problem will resolve when Ross finally gets used to you. Maybe make a bracelet out of dead crickets, put it on your wrist, and then pet him a lot with that hand. He will then associate your hand with good things...

Ok, that might be a half joke. Still, do everything you can to get him used to you without making him psycho. Like, put the tank by your computer desk or bed so he sees you often, but he doesn't necessarily see you coming AT him often.

LIZZIE82

I have the temp between 68 to 75. It drops at night. The Humidity I have a little problem with. When I mist it will stay between 60-80. But, I've caught it around 50 at times.

LIZZIE82

I swear if I touched him he'd have a heart attack and die!! I've had Ross and Monica for about 2 weeks. Charlotte, I've had her for about 2 months.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is the top screen? If so cover about 2/3 of it with glass or plexi to retain the humidity.

As for feeding, have you tried the "Cricket Bowl" feeding method?
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

LIZZIE82

yes, it's a screen for the top, but I have the hood to the aquarium halfway on to retain the humidity. I've tried the bowl method. Monica and Charlotte eat them in a matter of minutes and Ross won't stand a chance.

bshmerlie

I would try a second bowl once the other two are eating. Eventually they will stop eating just feed him a little later, once they're done.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I see.
    Since my Red Eyes are pretty mellow and only eat what they need, I can use the cricket bowl method for them.

In my Whites Viv I just throw the crickets in and let the frogs hunt them. I get to listen to the hidden crickets all night and occasionally I have to remove some dead crickets, but all the frogs get to eat and all are fat and happy.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information