Thread: Question about mating

DogRetepCow

Default Question about mating

This is a really dumb question, so forgive me, but I'm new to owning frogs. I have an American Green Tree frog and I want to get another one soon. I plan on quaranteening it before putting it in the cage with my current guy. I'm pretty sure my current frog is a female because it has never made any sounds, and is usually never that active, even at night. I'm not interesting in breeding frogs. I just want to get maybe one or two more green tree frogs for my 11 gallon tank. If I get males mixed with females, is mating kind of inevitable? What can I do prevent the frogs from breeding? I have a 12x12x18 vertical tank with a water bowl, a piece of driftwood, fake plants, a twistable vine I got from Petco, and T-Rex jungle bed substrate, if that helps. I don't feel confident with the thought of learning how to raise hundreds of tadpoles, at least not at this time in my life. Maybe I'll try breeding frogs eventually, but right now I would just like to keep a few frogs together without worrying about them mating. Do I just have to keep all females together or all males together?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question about mating

I don't know specifically about green tree frogs, but when reading about my gray tree frogs (and I know with a lot of other breeds) you have to do a type of season cycling to get them to breed. You have to create a cooling period followed by a warmer moist period in order to stimulate their breeding.

So I don't think that it is something that you really need to be concerned about. There are people here who know WAY more about breeding than I do though, so hopefully they can chime in!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

bshmerlie

No you don't have to worry about them randomly breeding. On a side note, with your size tank you really should stop at two. There may be some environmental factors why your other frog is inactive. Ex. Temps, humidity, lack of cover, light in the room at night, no soaking dish, noises in the room, lack of food, breaking in period. Why don't you post a picture of your enclosure just to make sure everything is covered.

DogRetepCow

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    No you don't have to worry about them randomly breeding. On a side note, with your size tank you really should stop at two. There may be some environmental factors why your other frog is inactive. Ex. Temps, humidity, lack of cover, light in the room at night, no soaking dish, noises in the room, lack of food, breaking in period. Why don't you post a picture of your enclosure just to make sure everything is covered.
    Yeah, I was thinking three frogs in this tank at the absolute max, but you're right, I should leave it at two. I'll try to get some pics up of my tank soon

DogRetepCow

Picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DogRetepCow

Pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

DogRetepCow

One more:
    The soaking dish is in the bottom left corner at the front of the cage