Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Care Sheet Contest- April/ May Winner

bshmerlie

Default Re: Care Sheet Contest- April/ May Winner

Let me worry about the tank. I was thinking Exo Terra or Zoo Med but if you're that limited on height maybe we could go with a 20 long. They are only 13 inches tall but they are 30 inches long and 16 inches wide. Which means we would go with a terrestrial frog. I do like tanks with more height which would allow us to do more with a background but I do understand size limitations.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I culture wingless since I usually have way to many fliers from the flightless fly cultures.
    I also use a culture media that only requires adding water and a pinch of yeast to set up ,so it takes only a few minutes to build a few new cultures.

I can't wait to follow along with this build. You are all so bad for my wallet and I am heading over to the pet shop in the morning for a 20 high since I just seperated some pups off the Bromeliads this morning.

Gotta have a place to properly plant them, and a nice great stuff background sounds like the perfect place :-)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Baelari

I'm very jealous.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well actually, I may be able to put it on a shelf that isn't on the built-in shelf in the bedroom. If that is the case, the hight would be fine, I'd just have to know the base. I am not 100% sure that a 20gL tank would fit in the shelf. am going to need to go measure that. I think it would be close, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was abit too short.

Actually, I just got to thinking...I could probably remove the shelf above and make room for a tall tank. That would be great. I will try to get some pictures of the shelf. It is going to be almost 2 months at max until we move, so I will probably start the project at the house I live in now.

This is so exciting!!

bshmerlie

Also know that these tanks with the background, drainage layer and substrate do get pretty heavy. Please consider that when thinking its going to go on a shelf. We don't want any accidents in your room. Your dad would probably kill you. That would not be good.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Also know that these tanks with the background, drainage layer and substrate do get pretty heavy. Please consider that when thinking its going to go on a shelf. We don't want any accidents in your room. Your dad would probably kill you. That would not be good.
    I understand. This is a very sturdy shelf. I am only putting fish tanks (and maybe a dart frog tank) on the bottom because it is on top of a very sturdy piece of strong, think furniture. The bottom shelf is at perfect viewing level. The upper shelves I would certainly not use for fish (or dart frogs LOL), because it is probably more like what your thinking about - 1/2" piece of wood held between 2 vertical pieces of wood with small strews.

Hopefully I can go up to the house and get you guys a picture soon. Don't worry, though. I could probably sit on that bottom shelf (if the upper shelves weren't in the way) and not even bend it. I have used weaker shelves for fish tanks (which way about 9 times as much as the amount of gallons it holds).

The shelf is Ok, but I will try to get a picture so you guys can understand what I am talking about. I certainly don't want to leave you guys in the dark.

bshmerlie

I personally like the 18 cubes. There's a good amount of space for the frogs and also a little bit of height so you can have fun with a background. The standard 20 gallon is also a decent size tank. I also like the 29 gallon which is 30x12X18 (LxWxH). Again it gives you a little height to play with but it may be too long. The small Exo Terras have too small a footprint for a terrestrial frog. The Mediums with the 18x18x24 are too tall for terrestrial frogs. They are better suited for tree frogs. We're going to stay away from thumbnails...lets just stick with the larger darts. You might panic when you see the microscopic thumbnails. Find out your dimension limitations and we can work from there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Go with the 18x18x18 Exo. Surely you should be able for find a spot for that.
    Once you have this done, your parents might actually be jealous and want it in the livingroom to show off.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Go with the 18x18x18 Exo. Surely you should be able for find a spot for that.
    Once you have this done, your parents might actually be jealous and want it in the livingroom to show off.
    LOL, that would be neat! Does anyone know if Petsmart carries the reptile Exo-Terra setups? I can't remember seeing any at mine, but I always overlook the reptile tank section.

I am leaving for a campout, so I wont be on Frog Forum until I get back Sunday. I still need to go measure, but at this point I think that it may be a terrestrial dart frog setup (like maybe a 20g tank, or maybe an Exo-Terra if Petsmart is stocking them). I haven't really been able to find a list of suitable terrestrial dart frogs other than just finding out species and indivially googling them. Maybe someone knows where to find a list?

Thanks guys! I'll be back on Sunday.

Special thanks Cheri!!

bshmerlie

I picked up some pretty cool pieces of wood so you can start thinking of layouts. I figure we go with the standard 20 gallon considering PetCo is having a sale soon. The pictures are of a couple of possible layouts. Think "hillside". I'm trying to give the tank a little depth. Ignore the plants those are the ones I just have sitting around my house and are for tree frogs, just tying to give you layout ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

The wood looks really neat! Do you know what kind of wood it is? Those are pretty big pieces! Can't wait to have those set in a tank!

I really like the idea of a "hillside" setup. I like #1 the best with the wood ledge. That looks pretty neat! I think that would be a pretty good arangement for the 20g tank. This is going to look really neat!

I can't wait to go to PETCO and pick up the tank (hopefully it will be there when I get there)! Do you know the exact dates of the sale? My mom said she'd try to take me on the first 2 days or so of the sale. Anything later and you walk into a bare tank aisle. It is funny how PETCO never seems to restock their tanks during sales .

bshmerlie

I think it was the last weekend of the month or the Fourth of July holiday weekend. Call your local store and they should be able to tell you. They usually stock a lot of 20's.

The wood can be recessed into the soil if needed. The wood is sitting on a chair and it is smaller than a 20 gallon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information