Thread: Putting a "front door" on a hex tank?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Putting a "front door" on a hex tank?

I have a 35 gal hex tank that I used to keep fish in. It was a TERRIBLE fish keeper because it was so deep and required such careful choosing of fish for each "level"

However, it would be a fantastic tree frog tank! My problem is...it is so deep. I hated trying to do anything in it when it was a fish tank, it would be worse as a frog tank where I need to do daily cleaning of the jacuzzi and whatnot.

I know people in here have built and customized their own tanks. Is there a website or does anyone know how I could take out the front panel and put in a way to open the tank from the front rather than reach down the top?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Putting a "front door" on a hex tank?

Trying to retrofit an existing tank with a front door is a very difficult task, you would be better off building one from scratch.

4. This member thanks Tony for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Tony. Since that wont work...are there any links to creating a bit of a pond with a filter in it so I don't have to do daily water changes? I know I would still have to clean the poo out and dead crickets (not that she leaves any crickets behind!) but that would be easy enough, it's the water changes I dread. It doesn't make sense to me to go buy a new tank when I have a perfectly good hex tank with a stand at home!

ETA: My other idea would be to make this a temporary home while I buy a kit and convert the tank she's in now into an upright...that might be easier!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

WalyLama

Hi, I am working on this sort of project as we speak. First off, you make it sound like a glass tank. Alot of people assume tanks are held toithgether with silicone but it actually a crazy glass glue. It has zero flex and wont come undone. You can cut it but the glass must be top quality to match your steady hand or youll shatter it. Your best bet is to lay it on its side n silicone a peice of glass or any thing inert n water proof half way covering and the rest screen. Wont be great for some frogs but ones that stay low will love it

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by WalyLama View Post
    Hi, I am working on this sort of project as we speak. First off, you make it sound like a glass tank. Alot of people assume tanks are held toithgether with silicone but it actually a crazy glass glue. It has zero flex and wont come undone. You can cut it but the glass must be top quality to match your steady hand or youll shatter it. Your best bet is to lay it on its side n silicone a peice of glass or any thing inert n water proof half way covering and the rest screen. Wont be great for some frogs but ones that stay low will love it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think I'm just going to buy a 20 gallon tank and a vertical conversion kit from AAAFrogs 20 Gallon High Visibility Vertical Conversion Kit CLEAR - aaafrogs I want to get it started soon so it is ready when my new frogs come out of quarantine. It'll give more room than some of the vertical tanks I've found.

Rat The Unloved

Actually, a retrofit ISN'T that hard, as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort.

If it's a "paned" tank, rather than a single piece, all you have to do is take the top and bottom rim off, and carefully cut the silicone from the pane you want removed.

What I would STRONGLY suggest is seeing if the dimensions of the pane match any commercial "vert conversion" kit, OR, kindly ask a conversion kit maker if they can do something custom for you to fit in that exact spot. For a hex, I'd suggest one like AAAfrogs "40 gallon high visibility" kit that swings the door sideways.

Installing a custom fixture like that wouldn't be very different from installing one on a regular tank and certainly would not be any more difficult than building a tank - the silicone and the rim are what holds the whole thing together anyway.

As far as a filtered pond - I'm actually working on that. Here's a crummy M.S. Paint drawing of my idea - check the comments for explaination.
    Last edited by Rat The Unloved; June 11th, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added link

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rat!! You give me a bit more confidence in this! I will take some measurements and see if I can get a custom made for it before I try cutting it up.

Rat The Unloved

No problem - I've done things like this before. A safety razor, patience, and a lot of love for the project makes it happen. Here's how to remove the rim from a tank (strongly recommend getting it off of there whole, and putting it back afterward) Then remove one of the panes sorta the same way.

Since you're taking out a pane, you may not need to take off both rims. You could also have strips cut from the glass, and mount them on either side of where the original pane was... then silicone a conversion kit to that. I think most of the AAAfrogs conversion kits could be modified to work - again... depends on the size of the tank.

Thread Information