Thread: Taming a tree frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Taming a tree frog

This wasn't something I necessarily tried to do over the last 2 weeks, I've just been leaving her alone with exception of moving stuff around her vivarium. I drop her crickets in every night before bed. Today, I reached in to adjust one of the plants, and she almost seemed...excited. I think she thought it was feeding time.

I put my finger by her and she crawled right onto it!! She sat there for a couple seconds while I talk to her and then she hopped off and I left her. Then I felt bad for getting her excited about food and not feeding her So out of curiosity, I grabbed a cricket and held it for her. She thought about it for a second, but then she took it right out of my fingers!

It's a good feeling knowing she's so comfortable with me already!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Taming a tree frog

She hopped onto my hand again tonight She stayed there for a minute. I don't intend on handling her, but if she jumps on my clean hands every now and then I would think that's okay right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Shouldn't be a problem. Your more a perch then the normal thoughts of handling such as catching, preventing escape from your hands, and any other stress generating activity.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

artes

If you want to actually play with her, wash your hands really well with glycerin soap before handling. If you wear a thin long sleeved shirt, the frog can climb your shirt without having to worry about your skin. I play with mine occasionally, and they enjoy the trip out of their tank. Just try to play with them in a (CLEAN!) bathroom, or a room without a ton of furniture, just in case - but once your frog gets comfortable with you, its not likely that she'll make her great escape. I can walk around with Froggie on my shoulder.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    If you want to actually play with her, wash your hands really well with glycerin soap before handling. If you wear a thin long sleeved shirt, the frog can climb your shirt without having to worry about your skin. I play with mine occasionally, and they enjoy the trip out of their tank. Just try to play with them in a (CLEAN!) bathroom, or a room without a ton of furniture, just in case - but once your frog gets comfortable with you, its not likely that she'll make her great escape. I can walk around with Froggie on my shoulder.
    How fun!!! I never thought they could get that relaxed with you, maybe I'll have to start working with her!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

artes

I occasionally do photo shoots with Froggie too. My other frogs aren't quite as comfortable with me as Froggie is (though Toadstool is close). Some frogs take a lot of work, some are comfortable right away. Just do your best to escape proof the place you're playing with her just in case, and if she seems scared/uneasy put her back in the tank and try again a day or two later.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you, I will see how it goes!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Should I take this as a bad sign?? I let her crawl onto my hand, and brought her slowly out of her cage, She was resting on the top of my hand....and then peed on me!! I'm guessing that is not the sign of a happy relaxed frog. I put her back in and will leave her alone for a while.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Warm Hand
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

The peeing is self defense- it is supposed to taste bad and can cause irritation if you get it in the eyes. (Note- I have no first hand knowledge of this as my general procedure has always been to neither taste pee nor to put it in my eyes).

I'm also fairly convinced that part of their self defense when picked up is to stick to you like the Millennium Falcon on a star destroyer until they have a good chance to escape. This is based on the many, many wild ones that I've handled to move out of danger (i.e. the lawn mower, whipper snipper, top of a closing door, etc). Once picked up, they tend to stick to you like glue, tame or wild, and I've walked around with wild Grays on my shoulder.

They will eventually get used to some handling, I do usually take my grays out of their tank when I feed them mealworms or waxworms (a couple of times a month) and they don't generally pee on me anymore (worm feeding time is also usually photo shoot time or cage maintenance time). Take it slow, and don't force the handling. Remember you should have her for many years to come so you've got lots of time to get familiar

artes

My frogs still pee on me occasionally. Its either defensive just in case, or its because your hand was warm and snuggley. I just wipe it off and keep playing unless it looks like it was defensive (if she looks like a pissed off froggie, assume it was defensive - if she looks normal, assume it was warm hand syndrome).

Fae

My frogs always pee on me when I handle them. Even my very old fire- bellied toads that are very used to being picked up. Its just a natural instinct to avoid getting eaten. My frogs are always scared when I first pick them up but calm down ( I think ) after they realize it's just me and will sit in my hand. Gray tree frogs are very smart but be patient with Paddy. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get my gray TF to be comfortable with me. Now he sits and looks out of his tank at me and sings loudly, and when I put my hand near him, sometimes he grabs on.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FaeTehHawtness View Post
    My frogs always pee on me when I handle them. Even my very old fire- bellied toads that are very used to being picked up. Its just a natural instinct to avoid getting eaten. My frogs are always scared when I first pick them up but calm down ( I think ) after they realize it's just me and will sit in my hand. Gray tree frogs are very smart but be patient with Paddy. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get my Gray Tree Frog to be comfortable with me. Now he sits and looks out of his tank at me and sings loudly, and when I put my hand near him, sometimes he grabs on.
    How cute is that!!!!

I never pick her up or coax her in any way, I let her climb on my hand herself. So far (the whopping 3 times) she hasn't resisted at all. She didn't look scared or anything but I'm going to leave her for a few days just in case. She most certainly did NOT want to go back in her cage though when I was putting her away LOL I reached her down to it and she jumped on the cover instead.

Thread Information